robinia pseudoacacia frisia

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by jane orvis, Feb 19, 2006.

1. jane orvis

jane orvis Member

I am considering planing a Robinia psedoacacia frisia in my back garden. One concern is the root structure of this tree. Does anyone have any experience with this tree in a garden setting? Any problems with suckering? I have heard that distrubed roots sucker heavily. I am concerned about suckering especially in the lawn.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Grafted on black locust, so suckers sometimes occur. Although probably often planted as a small tree 'Frisia' itself will also grow tall where suited. One I spotted in Auburn, WA once was 72 feet high in 1992. See CHAMPION TREES OF WASHINGTON STATE by Robert Van Pelt.

3. jane orvis

jane orvis Member

Thanks for the response Rob. Does that mean I should specifically look for a 'Frisia' that has not been grafted onto Black Locust?

4. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

I have a 'frisia' that is my new pride and joy. I actually paid a bundle wholesale for this guy. They are the niciest yard tree in the right setting. Ron I can only imagine a 72 footer! I 'd love to see something like that. The reason I will plant one every where I move to?......... I liked having a sense of bright sun in a corner of my yard, even in a gloomy Vancouver Island rainy day. I also apprecaite the fact that the root system is a good soil retainer and isn't particularly fussy about major fertilization. I have had very little root suckering in my trees, however I honestly never noticed a graft. I did however prune side shoots parallel to the trunk.
    These trees get enough pruning from the wind some years. My new 'frisia' got the most sheltered spot on the acre!

5. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I believe that this tree proliferates in the civic and commercial plantings of the West Kootenays, where it has been specifically planted in the cities of Trail, Castlegar and Nelson, B.C....
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the Robina is a robust and hardy tree, situated in these B.C. interior communities...think hot short summers, and cold winters...Most coastal species that I can recall, do not compare, in both size and colour, to the interior specimens that I have witnessed...Ron I think you are the expert, correct me if I am wrong.
    These are very beautiful trees! take the drive to Trail in the July-August months and be amazed at their beauty!
    I sure hope I have Identified the correct species, Robina p. Frisia!
    KB

6. Judith van Praag

Judith van Praag Member

I live and garden in the Pacific Northwest
    Hello Jane,
    I maintain a garden blog (Tuin van Marienhof) for gardeners in the Netherlands and happen to have just posted something about the Robinia frisia. I've asked Meinoud & Jeannette Dijkema, the owners of the Marienhof garden what their experience is with the roots. Haven't had an answer yet. You might want to visit their blog and place a comment with the Robinia post. Not the greatest photo on their blog, but it shows they've got the tree : )
    Meanwhile I hope for an answer from their side.
    Best,
    Judith

PS The climate in the part of the Netherlands where you find the Marienhof garden is very similar to that in Seattle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010