Rising Sun JM sun/shade?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lisa Harry, Jul 5, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

So I recently acquired this gorgeous Rising Sun. It is in full sun from sun up to sun down. It handled my regions recent heat wave very well with little to no leaf scorch. However because it appears quite red/ burnt orange on the sun exposed leaves I feel like “I’m abusing it”? I love it’s location and colour, I believe everything about it complements the red dragon well and it’s just gorgeous really. Should I relocate it to find some shade (which is a challenge in my yard) or is it ok the deeper red colour? Sorta like a blondes hair in the sun goes super light and in winter darker, not good or bad just is. The pictures below are different views of the one tree, the reddest leaves are on the very top of the tree and the most sun exposed. Leaves that have green are covered by other leaves. Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning Lisa, first of all it is looking beautiful, but it maybe turning earlier to Autumn colours due to heat stress. This can happen and there is little you can do to prevent this, especially with the extreme weather you have been having.
    It did happen a lot over here the last couple of years and I just enjoyed the colours in the Summer rather than the Autumn, when the leaves turned brown and dropped very early.
    So IMO I wouldn't move it.

D

Lisa Harry likes this.