Riley Park

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Sarah Ellis, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

And thanks for the Umineko ID. there are so many different Cherry trees within a 4 block radius! I will make a note in my ID book

2. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Janice
    When you say the 33rd Ave. entrance to QE Park, what are you referring to? There is an entrance on Midlothian, which is the continuation of 33rd, and there is one on the west side of the park from 33rd. Maybe that's what you meant.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Janice meant the entrance on 33rd, the trees near where Alex Downie always starts his walk and the location of the showy collection of 'Akebono' trees. It's the only 'Somei-yoshino' on the map in QE Park.
    SY marker_QEPark_Cutler_2023-04-16_13-23-54.jpg
    Lisa Lennie's photo from 2021 is at https://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/threads/riley-park.36464/page-11#post-405907.
    It was looking much better in 2017: https://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/threads/riley-park.36464/page-6#post-354859.

4. Laura Blumenthal

I don't know who Alex Downie is. Is the answer to my question the west side of QE Park?

5. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Laura, it's near the main parking lot entrance at W. 33rd, off Cambie Street, as Queen Elizabeth Park's official address is 4600 Cambie Street. That is indeed the west side.

The Midlothian entry is off E. 33rd and Ontario Street.

If this is Lisa's "grande dame" Somei-Yoshino #271, under which the hanami gatherings used to take place, Janice is giving disturbing news.

6. Laura Blumenthal

Thank you, Anne.

7. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

I fear it is the same tree. It was looking sad last month when we were wandering around QE, but I was hopeful it would still put out its show as it has done every year.....lets hope it is just cold and will perk up when the weather warms up.

8. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

Alex Downie gives amazing tree talks and walks at QE for the VCBF.....and it looks like he retired from his position at VPB last June. Congratulations Alex!

I took a tree id course that he gave at VD...probably in the late 1980's

The following from a VPB June 2022 report: (https://parkboardmeetings.vancouver.ca/2022/20220606/REPORT-GeneralManagersReport-20220607.pdf)

Retirement –Alex Downie, Manager of Park Operations
    Alex began his career with Park Board in 1985 as a Botanical Technician at VanDusen Botanical Garden where he created their first computerized plant records and mapping system. In 1993, Alex became Supervisor of Bloedel Conservatory where he greatly expanded the bird collection and developed an interpretive program for students and visitors. In 2001, Alex’s role grew to include supervision of Queen Elizabeth Park. During his tenure the QE Park Plaza was renewed, view corridors from the top of the park restored, and the arboretum enhanced with new plantings. Alex was instrumental in the effort to save the Bloedel Conservatory from closure after the 2010 Winter Olympics.In 2012, Alex moved to Evans Yard to take charge of Neighbourhood Parks and Street Horticulture. In 2016,he assumed the role of Operations Manager, overseeing various portfolios including Urban Forestry, Buildings and Structures Maintenance, Park Experience, Specialty Parks, and Fleet Operations.Throughout his career, Alex supported and fostered the proud horticultural legacy of the Park Board. He is a keen gardener and passionate plantsman, known as the ‘go-to’ person to identify that mystery tree or shrub, while telling you where it’s from and how to grow it. Many may not know, but Alex is an instructor for the VanDusen Master Gardeners Advanced Training program, and co-authored “The Woodland Garden”, a book on designing and creating naturalistic garden spaces. Instead of slowing down in retirement, Alex will be doing a lot of travelling with his wife Barbara. His plans include spending more time with family and friends, while enjoying his gardening and classic car hobbies.

Willard, Laura Blumenthal and wcutler like this.
  9. Laura Blumenthal

The beautiful, huge 'Umineko' trees on St. George from E. 30th to E. 31st are in full, magnificent bloom now. Three on the west side and one on the east side of St. George.
    Taken from 31st Ave.:
    20230419_StGeorge31st_Umineko_Blumenthal_3324.jpeg 20230419_StGeorge31st_Umineko_Blumenthal_3325.jpeg 20230419_StGeorge31st_Umineko_Blumenthal_3326.jpeg

Taken from 30th Ave., looking south towards the cemetery, which you can see in the background:
    20230419_StGeorge31st_Umineko_Blumenthal_3328.jpeg

10. Anne Eng

The "Big Mountain Cherry" just off the W. 33rd parking area in Queen Elizabeth Park is past peak bloom at April 21, 2023.
    The O-yama-zakura blooming seems to get sparser every year, while the 'Rancho' cultivar of Prunus sargentii seems to get better.

20230421_O-Yama_QEParkW33_Eng_7862.jpeg 20230421_O-Yama_QEParkW33_Eng_7867.jpeg 20230421_O-Yama_QEParkW33_Eng_7861.jpeg 20230421_O-Yama_QEParkW33_Eng_7858.jpeg

Lisa L and wcutler like this.
  11. Anne Eng

The two 'Shirotae' trees across from the Duck Pond in Queen Elizabeth Park are starting their bloom at April 21, 2023.

20230421_O-Shirotae_DuckPond_Eng_7868.jpeg 20230421_O-Shirotae_DuckPond_Eng_7869.jpeg 20230421_O-Shirotae_DuckPond_Eng_7870.jpeg

Willard and wcutler like this.
  12. Anne Eng

The 'Umineko' trees by the Duck Pond in Queen Elizabeth Park are at peak bloom on April 21, 2023.

20230421_Umineko_DuckPond_Eng_7874.jpeg 20230421_Umineko_DuckPond_Eng_7876.jpeg 20230421_Umineko_DuckPond_Eng_7873.jpeg

Lisa L, Willard and wcutler like this.
  13. Anne Eng

I hope it is not too distressing for Lisa, but this is what the 'Somei-Yoshino' tree looked like at April 21, 2023, surrounded by a circle of flourishing 'Akebono.' Although it does have some green buds, they don't look too promising, so it's best not to get our hopes up too high.

20230421_SYoshino_QEPark_Eng_7863.jpeg 20230421_SYoshino_QEPark_Eng_7864.jpeg

14. Anne Eng

Since this tree is holding up the single 'Takasago' flag for Riley Park, we better include it. From a distance, the tree doesn't look too bad for a 'Takasago,' and the blossoms always shine. On the south side of Talisman, west of Dinmont, it is in full bloom at April 21, 2023.

20230421_Takasago_TalismanDinmont_Eng_7855.jpeg 20230421_Takasago_TalismanDinmont_Eng_7857.jpeg 20230421_Takasago_TalismanDinmont_Eng_7856.jpeg

Lisa L and Willard like this.
  15. wcutler

Those buds looked just like that on April 10. It should have been in full bloom at that time, considering how far along the 'Akebono' flowers were. Poor thing.

16. Anne Eng

VanDusen's mature 'Somei-Yoshino' on the Rhododendron Walk, has also suffered this year. There were blossoms on half the tree, so it doesn't look as bad as the one at Queen Elizabeth Park, nevertheless it still looks half-dead. It was too pitiful to be included on the walks for Sakura Days.

17. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

18. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

oh no.....

19. Lisa L

Lisa L Well-Known Member

I did point it out to visitors yesterday! they were asking about the graft.....

20. Laura Blumenthal

Well, I've gone back and forth on this. I was pretty sure it was a 'Somei-Yoshino', but then I began to doubt myself because of the timing. It doesn't quite look like 'Umineko', though, so I'm going to need some help. Location: Right across Ontario bikeway from Nat Bailey Stadium - in Riley Park, where the winter farmer's market is held. Note that it was also full of bees today.
    20230424_OntarioRileyPark_SomeiYoshino_Blumenthal_3348.jpeg 20230424_OntarioRileyPark_SomeiYoshino_Blumenthal_3349.jpeg 20230424_OntarioRileyPark_SomeiYoshino_Blumenthal_3350.jpeg 20230424_OntarioRileyPark_SomeiYoshino_Blumenthal_3351.jpeg

Lisa L likes this.
  21. wcutler

I think it is 'Umineko'. Is it the same as in the posting at https://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/threads/riley-park.36464/#post-135667?
    On the map Search at Neighbourhood Maps (vcbf.ca) where it says By ID, put it 1540. Is that the same location?
    The tree has spread out in its old age, but the branch ends facing us seem to be facing up rather than drooping, which I see as an 'Umineko' characteristic.
    Do you want your deleted posting restored?

22. Laura Blumenthal

It's very hard to tell if this is the same location, as the community centre that once stood in that park is gone (replaced by the big one across Ontario). I'll be back there on Wednesday and will let you know if there is another large tree like this in the same park.
    Note: Anne's description puts it on Ontario Street, which is where this one is, but the map puts it a bit further into the park.
    As for the deleted post, it's not necessary - I knew you would let me know if I was on the right track or not. Do you want me to rename the photos?

23. Anne Eng

They are the 'Umineko' trees at Riley Park playground. See my posts from 2021, 2022.
    #285, #317

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2023
  24. Anne Eng

Here is the link to Post #317.

20210416_Umineko_OntarioE30_Eng_4916.jpeg 20210416_Umineko_OntarioE30_Eng_4920.jpeg

25. wcutler

Probably no need; it's not a festival favourite location, so I won't be using it. There isn't a search on photo names.
    Or maybe it should be a festival favourite? We have nine 'Umineko' festival favourites, of which three are in Riley Park and two of them are already on the festival Blooming Now page. Hmm. Photogenic trees at a nice location. I made it a festival favourite, but no more 'Umineko' on the festival page this year.