Right kind of soil for Orchids?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Sandra75, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

That media would work. I always recommend lots of soaking and rinsing when using CHC products. Any medium to coarse media for Dendrobiums seems work fine for me. I would like to try a mounted Dendrobium but my conditions are too dry.

Shaun

3. gwarra

gwarra Member

Hi Sandra75,
    I used this compressed coconut fibre potting mix for a number of my orchids a few weeks ago and they all seem to be thriving.
    All have lots of new growth but no flowers so far although it is only just coming into summer in Sydney, Australia.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Many commercial Hawaiian growers are now also adding charcoal similar to what is found in some commercial orchid mixes (Schultz) to the coconut husk. We've been doing that for about two years with very good results and currently have at least 40% of our plants in bloom. You might want to consider buying a bag of Schultz or something similar and mixing the two together. But Shaun is absolutely correct. Coconut husk is frequently washed with sea water when ground and you must remove all the salt before using. Coconut husk also requires regular water since it will completely dry out and must be re-hydrated before use.