Rhododendron species ID

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Nancy Chase, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Nancy Chase

Nancy Chase New Member

The Connie Hansen Garden is trying to identify a 35 year old rhododendron that was mislabeled. It is 10’ tall, gangley because it had been fighting for light. The flower size can be seen in comparison to my hand holding the bloom. Thank you for your help.

Bed15_Rh17 (3)e.jpg Bed15_Rh17 (5)e.jpg Bed15_Rh17 (8)e.jpg Bed15_Rh17 (9)e.jpg Bed15_Rh17 (10)e.jpg Bed15_Rh17 (13)e.jpg Bed15_Rh17e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Paging @Douglas Justice (though be patient, he is out of town for a couple weeks)

3. Nancy Chase

Nancy Chase New Member

I should add a photo of an opening buds, which have an unusual texture. Bed15_ID2e.jpg Bed15_ID3e.JPG

4. rhodomontade

rhodomontade Active Member

I'll send a note to the VRS also. Question - I can barely see the stamens - 5, 10 or >??
    Regards.

5. Nancy Chase

Nancy Chase New Member

The stamens are tiny, difficult to count so I took photos, need a microscope. We thought this was a species because it was in a row with other species, but Connie Hansen was also interested in azaleodendrons and hybrids. The bed was planted in 1989. I will try to get better close ups of a younger flower.

Attached Files:

6. rhodomontade

Hi: Any luck with stamen count? I looked long and hard at the images. Regards.

7. Nancy Chase

Nancy Chase New Member

It looks like 6 stamens. We recently found a reference in Connie Hansen's journals to Rhododendron 'Tiffany' that she probably planted in this bed. Although Tiffany is supposed to be 2-3', the 30 years growing in the shade of several more robust rhododendrons would explain its height topping out at 10+ feet. The flowers look close enough to think this may be R. 'Tiffany'.
    Hirsutum.info -- Rhododendron Hybrids/cultivars: 'Tiffany'
    Thank you for your attention.

8. rhodomontade

Good to know you identified it. Regards