Rhododendron leaves dying

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Stacia Leech, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Stacia Leech

Stacia Leech New Member

The leaves on my large rhodo (7 ft tall, 10 ft wide, 20 years old) began to turn brown a few days ago and are now shrivelling up!
    I've been watering it regularly during the latest drought, the leaves do not show any signs of lack of moisture.

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forums. One possibility may be sun scorch if the affected leaves receive direct sunlight.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Welcome Stacia

1. has the earth (soil) been disturbed recently (last year / this year)?

rhodos are shallow rooted aren’t they @Margot ?

2. Is there a shrub plant with roots that go everywhere nearby?

i ask because I have rhodos at the coast nr Vanc and two of them are droopy - I think mainly because a small maple and in another spot, a very energetic Aspen are « choking » the rhodos

3. any spray including roof demosser? De-icer?

did you feed it? Over feed?

4. last winter and before that last summer and before that ….

a neighbor has a Rhodo collection and yea some have expired over a few months

i personally have lost « mission bells » despite great soil, water, care etc

the sturdy (and delightful) PJM next to it droops in cold, droops in heat — perks up around Easter to present lovely small blossoms in a classic purple color (the leaves have an interesting scent — vanilla cream soda ??)

If indeed it does expire, consider saving the skeleton as is, where is, and grow a compact clematis over it —- a built in natural trellis!

Margot likes this.