Reusing potting soil of infested plants

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by jalyko, Oct 19, 2009.

1. jalyko

jalyko Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to gardening and just started growing some vegetables in containers this summer on my balcony. My brussel sprout plants unfortunately have become infested with pests. The caterpillars love to chew up the leaves and a couple of plants have been devoured by tiny grey insects that like to huddle together on the undersides of the lower leaves. I'm not sure what they are and the overall effect is very unpleasant.

I am going to throw out the plants -- what I am wondering is if it is okay to reuse the potting soil of plants that have been infested with caterpillars/aphids/yucky grey bugs?

Thank you for reading this!

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

I wouldn't!!!

3. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    You can sterilize the soil in an oven, but be warned: your house will stink for days! And who knows for sure what unknown bug or bacteria might survive. Best to go by the old motto, When in doubt, throw it out.

4. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Oh please do (((((NOT))))) put the soil in the oven! You will be completely disgusted.

Better to boil some water and pour it in, to sterilize the soil, but personally I wouldn't bother. Buy new soil - sterilized potting mix. Never go cheap on your soil.

: )

5. jalyko

jalyko Member

Thanks for all of your fast replies! I'm definitely tossing it all. Yuck!