Request: Ability to Ignore/Hide Threads

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Junglekeeper, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It would be useful to be able to selectively ignore threads. An add-on like this one could be used.
    In addition or alternatively, it would be useful to enhance the Ignore List to hide threads started by members in the list. Currently the list can only be used to filter out posts. An add-on like this one could be used.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks, I'll consider this.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

I have been selectively ignoring threads for the duration of my membership, and have required no add-on to do so.

And yea, verily, even an 'ignored' member might post a thread of interest. I would prefer to judge each thread or post on its own merits: to do so requires being able to see them all.

I would prefer to not have software do my thinking for me.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Many people use the "New Posts" link at the top of the forum to see what's new on the forums when they log in, to find threads & postings of interest.

If I'm understanding Junglekeeper correctly, he'd like to be able to reduce the volume of what appears on that list so he can more quickly target the threads he'd like to participate in -- after he has identified ones that he knows that he won't be getting involved in. I don't think there's anything wrong with having the option available?

5. togata57

Nor do I, provided that it is an option.

6. Daniel Mosquin

I have to ask: how could it be anything else but an option?

7. togata57

When, and if, it is made mandatory.

8. Daniel Mosquin

I'm confused; it is mandatory to do what? For everyone to ignore a particular thread? That is a baffling notion, and I hope I've understood you wrongly.

9. togata57

As I understand this, the add-on would have a cumulative effect. If a thread is 'ignored', it cannot later be read. There have been several times where I have needed information on a certain plant. Often this information is contained in a thread I did not previously read---or, in this context, I have 'ignored' it. According to the initial post above, the add-on would prevent the ignored threads from showing up in search results. I would prefer to keep all information, in all threads, available to me. Not possessing psychic ability, I have no way of predicting when I will need help with my coreopsis, my oncidium, my alocasia. I may acquire a new plant: in such case, information on it, in which I would have had no previous interest, would then become relevant and desirable. If I 'ignore' threads now, I will be unable to have access to the information contained in them when I do need it.

Restating my earlier post---one may choose to 'ignore' a particular member---but what happens if that member initiates a thread of interest?

I would like to have all information available, unrestricted. Making this option mandatory is the antithesis of free access.

10. Daniel Mosquin

Well, I assume that the plugin offers a listing of ignored threads in the control panel, so that they can be deselected if so chosen. I haven't looked at it.

You make a good point that anyone has to consider if one decides to ignore another member of the forums. I suppose: it's the ignorer's loss if the ignoree posts something of interest -- but the ignorer is going to make that decision based on past behaviour of the ignoree and take that risk, I guess. I don't know too much about this -- unlike everyone else on the forum (except for Eric), I don't have the luxury of ignoring anyone, so I don't have to decide what's right for me.

I will point out that all information is not available, unrestricted. As an example, The Test Bed forum, where people post tests of the forum software is not indexed for searching. Still, despite the fact that it isn't indexed, you can freely access it. You can't access the staff area of the forums, nor the Maple Society areas, nor the university class Landscape Architecture 316 areas, and I don't think that it would be appropriate for you to do so. So, it doesn't seem so black-and-white to me.

11. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

The answer seems to be: don't 'ignore' any threads. That way, you will always have access to all the information in this forum. I use the 'new posts' link to let me know what's new in all threads. If I'm not interested in some, I don't click on them.

12. togata57

When I use the word 'all', I of course am referring to the information that is available to me as a Forum member. I have no slightest desire to impinge upon staff areas or those private to the Society or University. I assumed that this usage would be clear and implicit.

13. tugo

tugo Active Member

Most civilised way.

14. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

With regard to the first add-on:
    The user can choose to ignore threads without any assistance from the forum software and that works in the majority of cases. However threads that are highly active remain in focus. For those that are not of interest it would be much more efficient if such threads could be filtered from the New Posts window. Since the functionality provided by the add-on is activated at the user's discretion there would be no impact if the user opts not to use it.

With regard to the second add-on:
    The description doesn't specifically state whether threads from ignored users are filtered from search results; that may not be an issue. However it would impact users who prefer to review all threads, even those started by someone in their ignore list.

15. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I also use the 'new posts' option,

Could we poll who uses that feature?