General: Repotting Bay Laurel

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by BitterSweet, Jun 22, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Here is my Bay Laurel tree - check out how big my Fire Cracker hot pepper seedlings are now as well!!!

: O

I have been enjoying many leaves from my Bay tree and they are unbelievably delicious - what in hell are the grocery stores trying to pass off for bay leaves?!!! WOW - what a total difference, in flavor. No comparison. Even just standing next to the tree charms the nostrils with an intense fresh Bay scent.

I had to bring my Bay tree inside because of plant thieving low-lives, but it is in full-sun and thriving still. Here is how it looks today...

: )

Attached Files:

• 665.jpg
      665.jpg
      File size:
      173.6 KB
      Views:
  2. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

You make me want one.

3. The Hollyberry Lady

It makes me want to go and buy another one - they still have some left! Bay can also be started via cuttings as well. I just can never be without this tree after experiencing these amazing leaves. The flavor is truly out of this world.

Can't wait for the peppers around it to start producing fruits. How appetizing and attractive that will look.

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes Liz, mine are leathery and strong too - it's the plant in the middle. I have the hot pepper seedings around the Bay tree on the edges of the pot.

Does your tree smell like mine ~ heaven?!!! I just love the way it is so full and thriving for me. I even took a cutting tonight to see if I can get it to root within a couple of months time. I am good at rooting cuttings and I thought it might be nice to have a second tree.

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

OK I see. You could torture (prune) it into a ball. Mine is all intertwined with that snowball thing as a hedge down the board walk. The one at home was a small (12ft) tree.

We just go and pick a bit of the hedge when bay leaf is required. Yes the smell is lovely. I like thyme and rosemary too.

Liz

7. The Hollyberry Lady

I just bought my Bay tree this season and then sowed the hot pepper seeds around it - so I had intended for them to mix together. I will pull the pepper plants if I see they are interferring with my Bay tree though.

I am so happy that I found such a great tree this year. A bit worried about overwintering it inside but have done lots of research to find out how to keep it happy. Supplying it with tons of light inside, will not be a problem. I intended it for outside during Spring, Summer, and Fall, but thieves are stealing my plants, so I couldn't chance it unfortunately.

I am seriously contemplating going and buying another one before they're gone. This way too, if one doesn't survive, the other might. I'll see - just grateful to have one that is so full and nice.

8. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

Stealing plants? What kind of a person does that? Although I've seen it out here as well. Glad you're enjoying the bay tree. You're right, the fresh leaves are completely different from the stuff you buy -- you'll find that even the ones you dry will be better. Usually the ones in stores are very old and may not have been dried out of the sun. I now use only my own, and give lots as gifts, which my family and friends really appreciate.
    keke

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh yes, my mom just loves it when I give her a fresh bay leaf! I can never go back, now that I've experienced the best.

Who steals plants? People with a strong sense of entitlement of other people's belongings! They even waited until I went to the grocery store, so they could hit a 2nd time and steal my gorgeous banana plant in broad daylight!!! It is obviously someone close by who waited for their opportunity. How sad and pathetic. They won't be getting my Bay tree.

Anyway, that is nice - giving the leaves as gifts to people. I bet they just rush to the kitchen to make something. I dry my leaves inside of a heavy book, so they won't curl on the edges. I like them perfectly flat.

All this talk is making me hungry to cook with a leaf or two today. I especially love fresh crushed tomatoes, brewed in a saucepan with the Bay leaves, garlic, onion, hot peppers, and fresh basil at the end. You talk about delicious, over pasta with a bit of mozzarella! Mmmmmmm.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  10. The Hollyberry Lady

Ok, well I just can't stand this, so I am going to go and buy me another Bay tree today. I called and they have lots left. What's more, is that they are now half price!!!

I might even buy two more, and mail one to a friend who just had theirs die on them. I will keep the second one in our cool but sunny foyer over winter and one in my bright south window in my apartment. It will be interesting to experiment and see what conditions are the best for my trees over the winter. I can even put them under my Metal Halide light system, if necessary.

I will show a picture of my new tree later today when I get back home...

11. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Hi Bay Leaf Lovers,
    And HBL, seeing that you like to propagate and share, watch the base of your laurels next year and you may see them sending up new side shoots. Mine planted in the ground does that ever year and I have successfully started new plants with them simply slicing off where they join the parent right at the trunk, perhaps a little buried even, and then away you go. They didn't require anything too much special as I recall.
    Bay leaves need to be mature to a certain extent before picking them for drying or they will just feel lighter and not stiff like the ones we buy. When the leavs are properly mature they will naturally dry wrinkle-free but you might still like to spice up your books this way! A nice fragrant bookmark.

Having one in the front yard shaped into tiers of balls, 5 last year, now? regrowing after the harsh winter. I have trimmed it lots In the Spring, June here usually when it is warm enough to get it growing again, I pinch the tips to shape the plant to what I want then let it grow until some time late in August when the leaves have matured enough and the plant sprawly enough to want another shaping.
    The very young leaves at the tips turn a very dark colour, looking very pointy and black, striking looking in a mix of pot pourri for which the bay laurel is well suited.
    It is said that the leaves release their flavour for cooking best when they have been dried.
    Is this not also the peace laurel? I took a shoot of it over to a neighbour as a token of good will after a few words one day, so I hope so!

D

12. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Plant thieves do strike!
    A neighbour lost several potted roses when she was at work one day, years ago and this is just a small town.
    A new school had most of its newly planted Rhodos pulled up one year.

And it gives me no end of wonderment to see people at the road side digging up lupins that had been seeded there by the Hi-ways dept to prevent soil erosion. What's wrong with leaving them there for all to share? Why do they think they are privileged to take them home for themselves alone?

No doubt a pox will fall upon the stealers and stolen plants and aphids will cover them from stem to stem, with mealy bugs at the roots and scale in the axils, plus thrip in any possible blossom. No joy from stolen goods if one can't grow them past the nematodes nibbling at the roots.

And they will feel itchy from the webs of the many cyclamen mites and two spotted spiders as well without the spice of your peppers to keep them at bay .

D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  13. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, thank you very much Dana - especially for the information about the bay laurel tree, that I missed before. How interesting that the tree will produce little sucker trees that I can propagate into a new tree - I will watch for those.

Recently (September 8th), I took a cutting from one of my bay trees, and dipped it in rooting hormone, then put it under glass, and placed it on my heat mat. On September 22, I noticed a new leaf bud forming in the center of the cutting, and I knew it was beginning to root!

I was especially shocked to see it rooting in such a short amount of time! I heard that bay cuttings can take a couple of months to root, but this one took in 20 days. I took the cutting from the fresh green softwood growth tips - not old, hardwood. This likely made a difference.

Here is the cutting. In the second pic, you can see the new little leaf bud forming in the center...

Attached Files:

14. The Hollyberry Lady

Here is my second Bay Laurel tree - don't think I ever showed it here. It has a 'chilly chilli' hot pepper plant in the pot with it, too...

Attached Files:

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Although I tried to get a third tree the same day I bought my second one, I was unable to because they were sold out.

: (

Much to my surprise though, about a week ago, I went to the same greenhouse, and low and behold there was a third one sitting over by the basil!

I was told someone returned it!!! Who in their right mind, would return a gorgeous specimen such as this?!!!...

Attached Files:

16. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Perhaps a thief?
    I am an optimist!

Likely that bottom heat did the trick.

D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  17. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, bottom heat helps definitely, but I was told that older, hardwood cuttings, can take 2-3 months, even with the heat mat!

Good thing I took an actively growing shoot also. It was already growing. This is too cool, anyway.

I am mailing the rooted cutting to a friend that lost their bay tree recently. I am working on rooting a few more cuttings as we speak...

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Update:

My Bay Laurel trees (all three) are doing well this Winter. I plan on tranplanting them in late winter/early spring.

Here's some shots I took yesterday. Going to harvest some leaves for drying shortly...

Attached Files: