repotted phal watering question

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by willvl, Oct 17, 2006.

1. willvl

willvl Member

i've recently repotted my phal after a substantial root trim due to overwatering... there's now not much of it left (above or below ground) and i've left it quite dry. theres a new root starting to grow but i'm not sure how i should water and or feed it.

any help with trying to save my phal would b very much appreciated. many thanks

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Watering would depend on the soil. Is it planted in a very fast draining, bark based orchid mix? It should be, otherwise it runs a good risk of rotting again. Let the mix dryout quite a bit between watering, then water well and leave it until it has had time to dry out a bit again.

Feeding is best with actual orchid food, but i guess you could use any food that is for flowering plants. Once a month ought to be fine, and too little is far better than too much.

Good?

M.

3. James D.

James D. Active Member

You should plant it in orchid mix and if it is only one root, i suggestusing a spray bottle to water it by misting, this way the mix won't stay too wet for the sick phal and it will still be getting some water.

4. willvl

willvl Member

it's been potted in bark since i recieved it over a year ago, and i've been feeding it with orchid specific food as instruted by my book! so far i've misted it once in a while since i repotted it but generally it's dry.

I'm just hoping for some way to encourage this 1 root to grow as it's very small (barely more than a bud)!

5. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I think zapping it with a spray bottle as suggested by James is the best idea.

6. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

I have to concur with a daily spraying of the plant. Can you control the humidity of the area the plant is in. Keep the plant in at least 60% humidity and at least 65-68 degrees F at night to
    90 degrees F in the day.
    I would recommend a couple of mist sprayers, one with plain water and one with fertilizer added. For fertilizer I would recommend the liquid Miracle Gro and make a solution of 1/2 per gallon of water. This stuff is so safe at this concentration you could use it daily but try every other day.