repotted a monkey puzzle tree-in shock?

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by ibutler, May 20, 2006.

1. ibutler

ibutler Member

I just bought a 3 foot monkey puzzle tree and repotted it with an upper layer of several inches of top soil and bark mulch, but down a few inches is a clay soil. After only a few days, it is already showing brown on the limbs, even the very top growth. Is it possible that it is only experiencing repotting shock or what! What can or should I do to save it?! Thanks so much for your help!

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Likely shock or root damage during the transplantation process. It is less likely to be diseased if you just recently purchased it, but it is possible.

Monkey-puzzle trees need a deep, loamy, well-draining soil to do well. They have a deep tap root that will try to develop. Although Monkey-puzzle trees appear to be tolerant, in the short term, to a wide variety of soil mixes, those that are planted in soil that does not offer good drainage often do not grow well or suffer from fungal infections later in life.

I am not sure that this tree can be saved. I hope you have a guarantee from where you purchased it.

If anyone has clay soil where they want to plant these trees, there are techniques to support a healthy tree, at least for the first 25 years of life. (1) Create a burm, pile of soil, or some sort of raised bed about a meter in depth on top of your clay. (2) If you dig a hole in the clay, it will only form a bowl of water. Therefore, some form of drainage must be provided to pull the water away from the site.

If you use mulch, use decorative stone or cedar mulch to reduce the production of fungus around your tree. Some decorative mulches decay quickly and are often full of fungus by the following year. I've fought many a battle with fungus on trees and bushes when I've used the wrong mulch. If you use organic mulches, pull it away from the trunk of the tree. Once a fungus gets ahold of a tree, you'll be fighting it for many years to come, or it will just kill the plant. Best to try to prevent it in the first place.