Repot now or wait

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kgeezy20, Dec 26, 2017.

1. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

There's a fair chance this has already been answered elsewhere on here, so feel free to redirect me to another thread, but I was wondering about repotting my maples in the next week or so. Is this a bad time? Most of them are in a poor-draining media so I'll essentially be bare rooting them and doing any root surgery that's necessary. Temps here are 30-40s of the day and 20s at night. Would it make more sense to wait till closer to spring?

Thanks,
    Kyle

2. 0soyoung

0soyoung Member

DON'T! This is a very bad time to repot/bare root.

Wait until you see that buds are quite fat or have begun to crack. This signals that the tree is metabolically active and capable of strong root growth. With acer palmatum/shirasawanum you can repot as late as when the leaves are emergent but still hang limply (just to give you a definition of the 'window of opportunity' for bare rooting).

maplesmagpie and kgeezy20 like this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Well-Known Member Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I second that.

You could repot if you can keep them in an unheated greenhouse, making sure that they are frost-free, but just before budbreak is certainly the safest option.

kgeezy20 likes this.
  4. emery

emery Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

And I third it. If that's a thing.

The only thing I repot now are winter arrivals that have basically come out of their pots in transit.

Happy holidays, and good luck with those Titans.

-E