Reply to "Photos of today's planting of our new Wollemi pine"

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by danc, Sep 1, 2009.

1. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Hello, this is my first post

Before everything, thanks for sharing so much useful information.

The temperature zone where I live (Romania, Brasov, Southern Carpathians mountain region) is 6, based on this map
    http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/zones/hze7.html

Currently I have 3 Wollemi Pines, one still potted, the others planted out this year in the garden. I hope they will survive temperatures that definitely can go well bellow 12 Celsius. I intend to document their winter survival by taking pictures of them and a thermometer showing the exact temperature at that moment on the most freezing days and hopefully of their new growth next spring.

I have reason to believe they will survive as the Wollemi Pine shown in the first picture was already planted out in February last winter during a warmer period (until then it had been kept potted outside by the house wall, in a sheltered position). Afterwards, there was again a period of freezing and snow (unfortunately I have no picture of that), very encouraging for me as I know it had already survived freezing temperatures. The second one was planted out in July, and now for the second time shows new lateral growth this summer, which I am afraid will not have the time to harden off.

WollemiPine1_080809.jpg WollemiPine2_080809.jpg

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I fear you won't be lucky; Brasov can get temperatures down to around -30°C in a severe winter.

3. danc

I agree. And I am prepared for the worst outcome. I intend not to give them any extra protection other than against full sunlight. But at least I will know for sure what are the chances for a wollemi pine in this zone. And though I don't like keeping any tree potted indefinitely, I will have to do so with my third wollemi pine.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Surely you are wasting your time and the plants as you have much too cold a climate for this species.

5. danc

sudden drop in temperature and consistent snow fall

PA160209.jpg PA160213.jpg
    PA160217.jpg PA160220.jpg

pinus pinea (second year in the ground), mespilus germanica, paulownia tomentosa (started from root cutting in february this year)

PA160222.jpg PA160211.jpg PA160223.jpg

Attached Files: