removing english laurel

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by citybusdriver, Oct 31, 2008.

1. citybusdriver

citybusdriver Member

Hello, A friend and I are removing a row of english laurel. We have dug down about 2 feet and removed the main roots, however there are some rather large roots remaining. My question is, how much of the roots need to be completely excavated? My concern of course is that if I do not remove enough, they will come back (to haunt me!). Is there a rule of thumb for this? ie: 2 inch circumfrence is/is not a concern. I want to back fill the trenches but will not until I am sure!
    thanks
    carly

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

No laurels native to England, so therefore, no such thing as an "english laurel" . . . so either your plant doesn't exist [?!?] or is something else . . . can you post a photo to help identify it? That will help knowing how to proceed.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Prunus laurocerasus sprouts from stumps above the ground and roots near the surface. There was no need to go down 2' to get roots down there, unless you are trying to clear the ground for planting. Otherwise getting all the material on or near the surface should be the focus.

4. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Don't plant anything in that spot untill you know you have it all out. I just went through this two years ago and had to dig somethings up to get at more roots left behind. Some are still sprouting in my nieghbours yard.