Removing a magnolia

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by nyn808, Sep 9, 2010.

1. nyn808

nyn808 Member

how long will it take to remove a 15ft magnolis tree ?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'll resist the urge to be smart-alecky, and instead suggest that you need to add details about what you plan to remove the tree with.

3. nyn808

nyn808 Member

chain saw, hand saw, pry bar, shovels..........

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

It's still gonna depend on the soil and other factors we can't know. (What's it next to, can you trample stuff around it, is the soil wet, and what's your incentive.) Given that you ask the question, you probably don't have a lot of experience with this.

If I were doing it in my very sandy soil in the back yard, without help, using only those tools: maybe two hours due to my indecisiveness. Front yard with marl (clay) probably five hours with the same waffling initially, but then massive amounts of hard labor. And time out for bandaids and beverages.

With either experience or a bobcat/tractor/truck with a winch cut the time in half or less. With my brother helping, triple the time.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, adding a machine to the equation could help a lot. Be wary of underground utilities.

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

if using a chainsaw dont make the mistake of cutting to ground level then trying to dig out, leave yourself a nice 3 to 5 foot stem to lever upon.