Relative Bloom Sequence

Discussion in 'Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival' started by Junglekeeper, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The cultivars listed in @Douglas Justice 's Vancouver Flowering Cherry Guide are categorized as early-, mid-, or late-blooming. Is there a list that sorts the same cultivars by relative bloom sequence? Such a list, though inexact because of overlapping bloom times, would nevertheless help a newcomer in following and learning about the cultivars as the season progresses.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The attempt was made to list them in sequence. We were led to believe that these things followed some rules. This year, it seems that there are not rules. To be fair, some of the cultivars are more sensitive to temperature, and some to the length of day, so it does vary a bit year to year, and it varies from neighbourhood to neighbourhood. There are one or two that I would move, but in general the order in the book is sort-of the blooming order.

Also on the Neighbourhood Maps, you can do a search on a neighbourhood, and then sort by blooming date. That depends on my getting enough data to enter, which doesn't really happen, so that's more theoretical. It also requires some time to be devoted to correcting the dates. One year, maybe a volunteer will show up who wants to be responsible for that.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

In that case, the index page to that book is probably what I'm looking for. Thanks.