Redbud Tree problem

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Mickeyj, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Mickeyj

Mickeyj Member

I'm having a problem with a redbud tree that is about 17 years old. I have been told that it has bore/borg worms. The bark is "flaking off from the bottom of the tree and it is beginning to weep sap. Is there anything I can do to save this tree?

Thank you
    Mickey

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2004
  2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

The answer to this problem

The answer to this problem is simple. Crank up your chainsaw, cut this problematic tree down and replace it with a Japanese Maple. Simple. What more can one expect but simple answers to simple problems here in the Maple section of the forum.

Attached Files:

3. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

The chainsaw idea has merit. But really what are you dealing with here. Is your tree a Cercis canadensis(American redbud) or a C. chinensis (chinese redbud)

How big are we talking here, as both can be either shrub form or as tall as 30 to 50 feet. I would suggest that you
    bring in a Certified Arborist to check out your options. To confirm what is attacking your tree. Do not accept a local name for the bug as in many cases the state or provincial
    people may not be able to ID the critter this way. A good
    arborist should be able to tell you the scoop. It may be a
    matter of a systemic (natural or other)

If it is a large specimen and it has to come down have a pro deal with it.

Also beware that these are a member of the Pea family
    (Leguminosae) {going on memory it might have change.
    Please inform me if so.} .

Regards to all
    Doug M.

4. We had a American Red Bud tree planted in our yard in Conway, SC in February or March of 2005 and now in June, we notice the leaves are a red, yellow green but are falling off the tree. Is there a problem with the tree, or is this supposed to happen. Would appreciate your reply soonest. Thanks!