Redbud (Forest Pansy) Question

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Irish, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Irish

Irish Member

Hi Everyone!

I planted a Redbud (Forest Pansy) about 3 weeks ago. It's about 8 feet high. The bottom 3 feet are vertical but from there up it leans on an angle. I would like it to grow up vertical, so am wondering about staking it. I know there is debate about doing this, as an unstaked tree is supposed to be stronger, so I would prefer not to do it. My concern is whether the tree will eventually straighten up or continue to lean. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Redbuds, when young, tend to grow at acute angles to vertical but very rarely straight up. This same trait also makes it prone to tight crotch angles that tend to be weak. Personally, I would leave it unstaked but follow a regime of pruning in future years to try to minimize the number of tight crotch angles on major branches. The leaning you see now will balance out quickly next year with a new season of rapid growth.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

At 8' tall it would be considered a finished specimen. If you wish the crown to spread sideways at a greater height you can select a leader and tie it to a stake to train it higher. The stake will have to be stout enough and tall enough to do the job, tied closely to the stem. Find a spot where there is a gap in the root flare and insert carefully.

4. markbugden1965

markbugden1965 Member

Yes ,thanks for the info Ron as I too posted a similar thread wondering about training my Redbud at 6'. It is really spreading out @ top of it's support post in all sideways directions. I am too scared to make a choice on trimming too many of these top branches and training straight up as I've never done that before. I posted a few pics as to see what i mean about top. I absolutely must train it higher though. It is near my driveway. Due to limited space.