Red Trumpet vine (Campsis radicans)

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Durgan, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?EWTVG 11 July 2008 Red Trumpet vine (Campsis radicans)

This plant was growing at Peddicombe Farms, where I was cherry picking today. It was an incredible sight. In the appropiate place it makes an ideal hedge.

2. onesunlover

onesunlover Member

Thanks for sharing these most beautiful pics. I was at a restaurant the other day and they had this variety over the arbour as you entered the courtyard. It was a fantastic site!

3. Durgan

The trumpet vine can be a plant from hell in the wrong place. It is invasive, and the roots extend for many meters.

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?YIDWC 14 Aaugust 2008 Red Trumpet Vine Campsis radicans 'Flamenco'
    This plant was growing is a small village, Oakland, ON, and I took pictures on 5 August 2008. I can imagine the services people don't appreciate this vine in its present location.

4. onesunlover

onesunlover Member

I heard that pruning it extensively each Spring is a big help to keep it under control. Is that true?

5. Durgan

I think the underground roots are the problem, apparently they are massive, and extend long distances.

6. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

I'm glad this was posted. the pics are gorgeous and I've always loved this plant and finally got one after admiring the neighbors that travels up a telephone pole.

The one I was suppose to get was the yellow one and it took three years to finally grow this one big enough to find out the flowers are red/orange. OH, well.

I am inquiring about the Cape Honeysuckle 'Red' other name Tecomaris. Is this the same as a Trumpet Vine or is it different and is it hardy? I'm not getting much on searches for this plant on the web. I just get wholesalers and they don't show pictures.

7. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

8. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Hi,
    Thank you very much for the links! They are very helpful and I was able to see alot of Tecomas hybrids. I'm guessing they are tender and not the trumpet vine that we grow here in Idaho where we are in zone 6. As many photos were from Hawaii or Texas.
    So I'll have to be sure I bring this plant in during the winter.

There are many photos of this plant species and they are very beautiful and bright!

9. Scherle

Scherle Member

Durgan

I came across the same Red Trumpet Vine, when on a walk not far from my home.
    Today.
    Came home so excited about the plant and just what it is.

Then found your photos. Just gorgeous isn't it.

This vine is growing unattended and I am intending to go back and bring a pair of clippers, or perhaps a little shovel

Will it grow from cuttings, at this time.

How about growth from seeds. Although there are not seeds on it as of yet

I notice that you have one growing in your own garden.

Diane

10. Margozzi

Margozzi Member

Hello,

I have 2 red trumpet vines that are about 2 years old. They are close to 20 feet long now and I have yet to see one flower :-( They seem to be growing very well...the other vines of the same variety seem to bloom fine in near by homes to mine. Is there a trick to getting them to bloom?

11. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Hi,
    My first one which was suppose to be a yellow one, not, took 3 years to bloom but seemed to bloom as I fertilized it with rose fertilizer or tomato. The middle number of npk should be the highest.

Now it is doing too well and I'm going to have to move it. It grows close to 3 clematis that have grown as well and it is under a cherry tree.
    Also, these flower at a certain time as well.

12. Margozzi

Margozzi Member

Thanks so much, I guess I'll have to wait and see :-) I'll check on the fertilizer I use vs what you mentioned. Have a great new years!

13. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Margozzi,
    I just saw you are from Morgan Hill! I'm from San Jose, until I married an Idaho boy!
    Morgan Hill holds a lot of memories for me.