Red Passion Flower

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Durgan, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

URL to Pictures of Passion Flower

There is a total of 11 pictures. The red passion flower has produced no fruit to date.
    The blue flower shown has produced fruit this year, so far there are three on the vine. Two pictures of the fruit are included. I overwinter the plants indoors.
    Durgan

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

my pic of passiflora coccinea

Attached Files:

3. Durgan

A question for those who know!
    Are the two passion flowers passiflora coccinia? The red passion flower posted by me has a sort of beard, and the one posted by jimmyq doesn't. I tried to find a picture of the one I posted on the internet, and only found a picture of the one posted by jimmyq. They are different in structure, but the flower petals are identical.

I found the information and posted it on my message number 5 below in this discussion
    Durgan

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

the one I took was a grower tagged, potted plant at a nursery, the grower is fairly reputable so I trusted the name although I have not done any serious research to quanitfy it.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think JimmyQ's pic looks like all the Passiflora coccinea I have seen. Durgan's flower form is more like the P. caerulea. I have not seen one like that before...beautiful!

I am impressed that you get fruit from your vines in Ontario, Durgan.

6. Durgan

URL with data to Passiflora Pictures
    There is a total of 19 pictures, some showing the leaf structure.

I have taken another look at my passion flower plants. There are three different plants. The leaves on the plants are all different. The blue one with five spikes on the leaves is the fruit bearing plant.

The fruit bearing one with five narrow leaves is called Passiflora Caerulea.

P. caerulea - Very hardy to freezing but will lose its' top growth and grow back from the roots in spring. One of he most common passion flowers in the world originally from Brazil. The flower has white petals, with blue corona filaments up to 4" wide. Edible fruit is also produced with a bright orange skin and a rather tropical insipid taste. (Taken from an internet site) I tried one fruit today and it is INSIPID.

The one identified as Passiflora Incarnata is actually Passiflora X belotti. Here is some information from an internet site.

Passiflora x belotii is a hybrid of P. alata x P. caerulea. Named P. alato-caerulea by Dr Lindley in 1824, John Vanderplank's book lists the following alternative names, P. x belotii, P. 'Empress Eugenie', P. 'Imperatrice Eugenie', P. 'Kaiserin Eugenia', P. munroi & P. x pfortii, some of which are still in use. The latest Passiflora Hybrid Lists have collapsed them all into 'P. x belotii'. Flower variations however include either a dark or light centre, one or a number of white bands on the coronal filaments & petals crumpled to varying degrees. Clearly there are a number of similar but distinct hybrids, probably all of P. alata x P. caerulea parentage. It is my view that they have been overcollapsed & could probably be separated out again, but as they are decorative & sterile it does not matter too much.

The red one is as close I can find is Passiflora ( Lady Margaret). (P. vitifolia x caerulea)
    This is the URL to the information.

QED
    Durgan.

Durgan

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005