red maple possible graft

Discussion in 'Maples' started by 54345, Aug 7, 2011.

1. 54345

54345 Member

Bought a red maple not a cultivar one tag says 60-70 foot and another says 36x36foot nursery says it was probably grafted. Then found info saying that maple grafting incompatible and the tree will fall apart. Bought the tree for backyard, space is 25 foot wide and planting hole would be about 6 foot from wooden fence on one side and house about 45-50 feet away. Area can be wet in spring with sitting water (about 3-4 feet away) and there is a small swale there and wet if we have a lot of rain about 1 inch of water . Wanted a tree that would last many years or a long time but not get too big. We also just paid for a $4000. shed close to where the tree will be (approx 10 foot) i'm afraid i've made a mistake and should plant something different. Originally wanted just a 20 foot tree maybe 20x20 not sure what to do. Afraid its going to break and damage new shed/ fence/or neighbours shed. Any suggestions I had originally thought i could just trim tree to fit area. This is not a constant wet site only at times it has been very dry this summer. Clay soil, Zone 6, this was originally to block the view of back neighbours with a high deck. At what age will a red maple break? Thought of downy serviceberry but does last long.