Red-fleshed, non-GMO apples?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by lord andrew barham, May 22, 2020.

1. lord andrew barham

lord andrew barham Member VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I have no idea how to initiate a discussion or ask a question on here, and hope this is how one does either. Anyway, I have been trying to find out if there is a known variety of apple that has carmine red skin and similar wine red flesh. There was a big old one growing on Lasqueti Island, that I have since heard has been cut down. The apples were delicious, but I have never seen another whose fruit was so intensely coloured. I have tried searching via google (perhaps the worst search engine ever created, so perhaps I should not be too surprised at being utterly unable to find anything other than GMO apples with red flesh) but not found anything. It would be a shame to think that the tree on Lasqueti might have been the only one left of some forgotten variety. Anyone know anything about red-fleshed, non-GMO apples?

2. vitog

vitog Rising Contributor 10 Years

I found several non-GMO red-fleshed apples during a brief search on Google; but, if you don't like Google, you could try contacting the BC Fruit Testers Association, an organization that participates in the UBCBG Apple Festival, another good source of information about apple varieties.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Esteemed Contributor UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, do contact the BC Fruit Testers. I have seen red-fleshed apples at Apple Fest demonstrations.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Typically these have a genetic involvement of Rosy bloom type crab apple cultivars which impart the flesh pigmentation and other characters.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.