Red Evergreens

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by movingmanca, Nov 4, 2004.

1. movingmanca

movingmanca Member

Help me............I planted about 75 Smorag Cedars around my property last spring. (possibly the worst year in garening history to plant) We sureptitiously watered as much as possible. However, many of them have now turned brown outside (the insides are still green) and some have gone a bright scraggy red and appear to be toast. Now is the time of the year to replant if need be so I am wondering if I should or will they come back with some tlc and time??? If anybody can give me some suggestions I would be eternally grateful. Brian

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Portions of conifer hedges browning out is often root rot. Inspect your soil conditions before spending money on replacements, which will very likely fail if the site is nt altered to suit them.

3. movingmanca

movingmanca Member

Red Evergreens II

I recieved a reply from Ron in Edmonds(many thanks) However I dont understand what he means by inspect the soil. Should I be fertilizing or adding other nutrients or possibly some other substance to rejuvinate the trees? This was a new bed with top soil but I guess its possible that the underlayment is not in harmony with evergreens. Does any one know what conditions they enjoy (besides moisture)

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Look for standing water, rotting roots, dank aromas, pockets of dry, dusty soil, other indications of serious problems. Also crack open the rootballs of the dead trees and look at them.

5. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

root rot

Select the "Search" option in the dark green bar at the top of the page and type in "root rot" then browse thru the results and compare with your situation. There are some pictures and some links that may be useful.
    Ralph