Red Dragon as Bonsai

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JeffKnox, Aug 20, 2003.

1. JeffKnox

JeffKnox Member

I have a Red Dragon as a Bonsai. This summer when the temperature started getting around 100 I lost all the leaves on the tree. I am guessing it went into shock. The ends of the branches look like the tree is ready to bud out leaves. Is the tree a loss or should it come back? Should I do anything special to help it along.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Japanese maples are fast to react to a lack of moisture, insufficient moisture and heat stress. Common reaction includes leaf scorch, browning, dehydration and drop. They do normally return to vigour after moisture has been applied regularly, check for bud developement along the stems and be patient, keep the soil evenly moist until the plant recovers then resume an appropriate watering regimen depending on weather. With a bonsai you have very limited root area and growing medium so your margin of error for moisture is much less forgiving than a plant in the garden. A possible insurance policy during hot spells would be a drainage tray beneath the plant with a 1/4 inch or so of water as a reservoir.

3. JeffKnox

JeffKnox Member

Thanks for the response. I never let it get dry and by what you are telling me maybe it will come back.