Red clover invasion

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by violeta, Sep 27, 2008.

1. violeta

violeta Member

Over the years my flower bed was invaded by red clover. I have a hard time getting rid of it. I tried spreading cedar mulch but that just encouraged moss to grow. Does anybody know how I can get rid of the red clover?
    Details: the flower bed runs along the house wall, has a westerly exposure, and is elevated 2'-3' (retaining wall). I have three rose bushes that live there. In spring the bed is full, and I mean FULL of blue bells, in summer I have calendulas.
    Help!
    Violeta

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Sounds like a shovel & sieve job to me. You mention 3 species that are quite aggressive. The last time I let a bed go - badly, I spent a few days (tiring days) shovelling the soil out, sieving it thru' a fine sieve (1/2" hardware cloth), hand-picking the soil for all plant material & then replacing the soil in the bed. I planted it lightly the next year & used a sharp hoe & repeated hand weeding to get rid of the remnants of the "bullies". The year after that I filled it up with ground covers, small shrubs & perennials to keep the weeds down (& of course, to look good!)

It would have been easier to get a contractor to haul away the soil to a depth of 8-10" & replace it with sterile soil Oh well, I don't seem to do things that way. My handiwork cost nothing & was much more rewarding. The removed plants made good compost.

BTW my experience tells me - do NOT put bluebells (Endymion non scriptus) in your compost. The darn bulbs will survive cold composting for well over a year. Bluebells can overwhelm a garden in SW BC - see previous threads on the things.

Go on...have a dig!

gb.

3. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I notice a lot of what I would call red clover, plus a small clover-like plant with rather delicate-looking leaves, which has wiry thin stems and wiry underground connectors... keeps showing up. Like my parents did, I have to go out and weed occasionally, sometimes frequently. I have a new philosophy -- this total-elimination approach to weeds is really hopeless, we live on fortunately a still-fertile planet and plants will pop up. I am finding some nice things will pop up sometimes, from old plantings, as well... except they are usually not planned for or wanted... I have been waging a war against Houttuynia chordata, or chameleon-plant, in one section of garden, all summer. Digging out and knowing that every piece of root that gets left will re-sprout. Still, maybe it's the season but it does seem to be dying off...