REconditioning Aluminium Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by WesternWilson, Apr 19, 2009.

1. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

Ok, I have my site prep in progress and have decided to lay down landscape cloth and cover with a few inches of crushed limestone...reasonably easy to move or get rid of if I don't like the site or the greenhouse.

However, the greenhouse while in good shape is showing its age. I definitely have to scrub it down and replace some glass and weatherstripping. But while I am at it, I would like, if it is possible, to paint the frame black (that elderly Al is just an eyesore).

Does anyone have any advice on the advisability of doing that, and/or best methods and products to use?

Thanks!
    Janet

2. theredben

theredben Active Member

Painting it white will increase light levels inside the greenhouse. In the lower mainland we need all the light we can get. Not sure what kind of paint you can use on a residential basis. Maybe give a couple greenhouse dealers a call and see what they can do.

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

There is a product called Albright which you might be interested in using to restore the aluminum. http://industrial.pacechem.com/page121.htm Have found it easy to use and cleans the oxidation well. The link may be to a wholesale company, but they could probably help you out.