Recommendations Needed: Creeping Plants

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by SvenLittkowski, Sep 24, 2009.

1. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Active Member

Hi.

I have a huge pot with plants and even a small pond in it, but what makes it still unfinished, is the fact that I can still see the soil. I am interested to cover the soil with a creeping plant, and need recommendations from knowing persons.

Required Attributes:
    - The plant should, ideally, be very easy to grow.
    - The maximum height should not exceed one or maximum one and a half inch.
    - It should be able to live in the shadow of larger plants.
    - It should develop many beautiful blossoms.
    - It should populate easily and cover the entire soil.

Optional Attributes (NOT required):
    - Blossoming around the year, independent of seasons.
    - Fragrant blossoms would be a nice feature.
    - Development of edible berries, nuts, leaves, or whatever.
    - Carnivore attributes - attracting small insects (mosquitoes, etc.) and digesting them.

I would like to get the common English names of your plant recommendations, as well as the Latin names (so I can research further). And if there is someone who might even have seeds for those plants, I could exchange them maybe with some Caribbean seeds, if so desired! But that is just optional.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. HarukoSunny

HarukoSunny Member

3. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Creeping succulent,

I believe my plant from Golf Del Sur in Tenerife is a succulent, and it sure creeps all around the golf course there.

I must give an update of how its grown.

Attached Files:

4. SvenLittkowski

Thanks for your hint! I will see if I can get those here (in Jamaica). :-)

5. runningtrails

runningtrails Active Member

Mint is so extremely invasive and will end up everywhere! Try watercress. Just root some pieces from the grocery store, if it is available. It will grow bare root in the water and spread all over the edges and ground. It is hardy enough to come back, even here, year after year on its own. It has little white flowers and is great in a salad. One of my favouite ground covers for a pond area. the fish will eat any that grow in the pond.

Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia Nummularia) will also grow well bare root in the water and surrounding area and the fish don't eat it. Does well in a lighted aquarium too.

6. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Sorry,

My golf plant would maybe be too tall reading back on your post Sven.

7. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

You could try a Diamond Frost Euphorbia. I love it because it fills in all the bare spots. The purple plant is a creeper, but much larger. I mention it because we had it growing on our balcony in Cuba, so I know it likes the heat. Having said that, mine grows well in the shade.

I took a chance and just threw some creeping jenny in my fish tank. My goldfish immediately attacked it. Hopefully he's just being territorial.

Attached Files:

8. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Have a look at Veronica filiformis AKA threadstalk speedwell...spreads fast, beautiful sky-blue flowers in the spring.

9. runningtrails

runningtrails Active Member

I gew creeping jenny in my aquarium for years and the fish did not eat it. They ate everything else. Maybe he needs to try it first before deciding that its not edible?

10. SvenLittkowski

Wow! Plenty of great suggestions in the meantime! Thanks to you all! I will go through the different suggested plants, research on them (Wikipedia) and will then decide. Thanks again, great spirit here!