Reality for Container Maples?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Maple Sydney, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Maple Sydney

Maple Sydney Member

I have an original Japanese Maple in its third year in container.

It is now spring in Australia and no matter what I did I always have burned tips on the maple. Although it's very minimal (pic attached), it still bothers me a little bit.

The temperature has not gone above 25C (77F) so far. Every year I tried to vary the watering, less or more, thinking I might have overwater or underwater it. But still I have the burned tips. The plant receives 1.5 hours of morning sun and 1.5 hours of afternoon sun (from 3pm).

Sydney can be quite windy. Last year it was so strong it toppled one of my clay containers! Could the wind be the factor here, enough to burn the leaves even though the temperature is still mild?

Or is it just the reality of growing maples in containers, where the roots cannot go as deep as those grown on the ground?

Attached Files:

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Wind is indeed an issue, and may be the most important factor in leaf dessication. Wind + high heat is a disaster for JMs.

Also, if your water has been treated with cholrine, flouride, or other chemicals it can case the leaf tip burn you're showing.

3. Maple Sydney

Maple Sydney Member

Thanks for your reply.

Damn! Living in an apartment I have no access to water other than tap. And this is now only spring with lower than average temperatures.

The encouraging thing is over the last two years with brutal summers & hot wind, the burned tips did not progress much further than the photo. Probably another 1 or 2 mm but that's about it.

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Let your water sit for 24hours in an open bucket before using it on the plants. Most of the chemicals will evaporate out in that amount of time.

5. Maple Sydney

Maple Sydney Member

Will try that, thanks.

6. kerry van den Berg

kerry van den Berg Member

Hi I live in Tasmania and have had a similar problem with maples in pots-mybe you need a bigger pot-also you can get a water filter-have you tried feeding with liquid seasol?