re-rooting in water vs rooting hormones in soil?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Barbara Lloyd, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? I'm taking about Dracs, & Deifs mainly. barb

2. mctc

mctc Member

I bought some rooting compound but have had much more luck with water. The one cutting I could never get with water(and the reason I bought the compound) was a coffee plant compound.

3. Barbara Lloyd

mctc, I'm trying to root a dieffenbachia currently. I've done all sorts of other plants in water, but thought I'd try it in rooting compound and soil as I do Dracs. Not much happened except loss of a bunch of leaves, so I stuck it in water. It's not my dief, belongs to a neighbor so I'm worried that I bit off more than I can chew. barb

4. mctc

mctc Member

Sorry I have never worked with one so I have now specific info. What I generally do is take too cuttings and do one in water and one with rooting compound. just to increase the odds of success. Are you rooting the whole plant and not just a leaf?

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the drac i would do in soil rather than water (unless it's 'lucky bamboo', that can be done in water a bit more successfully than soil). i've had better luck with water with the dief's...i've not used the rooting hormone when putting in soil (i always forget to and then it's too late :) ) everything roots though, so i don't know if using the powder would make any difference or not!

6. Barbara Lloyd

Joclyn,
    I stuck the Diefs. in water and bingo, they have roots, some to 1/2 ' long. You're right about the Dracs, they do well in potting soil, tho I tend to use rootone as a general rule. I was mainly worried because this is not my plant and working with a dief. was new. At least I didn't mess it up and should be able to send plant home better than when it arrived. ;))) barb