Re potting from a large container to a small container

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Otto Bjornson, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

This is the time of year that we re pot many of our container grown specimens. This year we decided to take a couple of our very old trees and re pot them into a much smaller pot. I took our acer palmatum "Pixie" out of its half oak barrel container ( it has been in there for approx 20 years now). the tree itself is approx 30 years old since I grafted it.
    The oak barrel was barely holding itself together with plenty of rotten pieces so it took only a few minutes to remove all the wood. I then took my "root cutting saw" and cut the sides and then the base into a 1 foot cube ( 30" cm).
    Then place the tree in a 15 gallon nursery pot which is approx 1/3 the size of the former oak barrel.
    My back always thanks me when we scale back the pot size!

Attached Files:

Acerholic, LoverOfMaples and AlainK like this.
  2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Good job!

Oh, how I understand : I used to buy terracota pots, but now when I repot, I use plastic ones.

Firstly, they're easier to move, secondly, when they get the sun terracota pots, especially when "varnished" keep the heat during the night, I don't think maples like that.

I still have some very nice pots, but I keep them in the shade, like this 'Jerre Schwartz" :

acerp-jerre-schwartz02_211108a.jpg

acerp-jerre-schwartz02_220317a.jpg

Otto Bjornson likes this.