RE:Botany Photo of the Day-Calypso bulbosa

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by calypsogrower, Jan 25, 2006.

1. calypsogrower

calypsogrower Member

I am new to this forum and very excited to see Daniel Mosquin as the administrator. I have seen that name alot in my websurfing for information on the Calypso bulbosa. The photo of the day,from archives, May 2005 taken in BC shows the white hairs and heavily spotted lip of var:occidentalis. There is a link on the page to the UBC Garden website which shows a picture of Calypso taken in Banff clearly showing the yellow hairs and almost white lip of Calypso bulbosa var:americanus. I on the Pacific coast of northern California and am growing the var:occidentalis which has white hairs and a heavily spotted lip. Question number one is-where on the continent does the change happen in the variety?

Back to the picture from the UBC garden of var:americanus. It looks like it is growing in pine needles. Could you tell me which type of pine it is and what other trees may be the dominant producers of the preferred leaf duff?

Just two questions but the answers are huge to me. I would love to grow the Calypso with the pretty yellow hairs. I have redwwod trees which have large populations of var:occidentalis that I am trying to grow from seed. I also have Bishop and Coulter pine woods and am wondering if I could grow var:americanus. Thank you for taking the time to make sense of this and I appreciate any response from anyone. I am also looking for a picture of the European Calypso as I believe there are three varieties and I have only seen two.