raw deal

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by jaro_in_montreal, May 3, 2007.

1. jaro_in_montreal

jaro_in_montreal Active Member

I'm pretty upset about what happened today.

I bought a large Pinus densiflora Umbraculifera from a local nursery.
    It came in a large pot, about 50cm in diameter, so it was very heavy.
    But I was glad to finally have one, as they're not all that common in local nurseries.

But things went bad during planting.
    When I tipped the plant over, to slip the big plastic pot off, I found that the nice dark soil on top was just a cover over a burlapped root ball.
    The plant started getting lighter.....

So I proceeded to take the burlap cover off.
    The inside was packed with clay, that would probably work well for artistic modeling, but the worst kind of garbage for plant roots.

The clay easily came off in big chunks, leaving the roots mostly exposed, up to the thick trunk.

Of course the roots were absolutely massacred, with short stumps sticking out from the trunk base.
    Not only that, there were thick roots wrapped tightly around the base of the trunk -- a sure sign that the plant was left in a too-small pot for a long time, when it was a seedling.

Anyway, with all the clay off, and hardly any roots left, the plant was now very light -- little more than a big broom, with a stump at the bottom.

I tried planting it as solidly as possible, so that the slightest breeze won't blow it over, but needless to say, I'm not very optimistic about the long-term prospects.

The plant has a three-month warranty, with a refund if you bring the dead plant back.
    I figure I may have done a lot of work for nothing today.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I once planted a ~6' Serbian spruce in the back yard here that also had lopped off roots making the whole unit at the base of the stem about the size of a human hand. These were discovered after the burlap came off to reveal a "false ball", just like yours had.

It grew like a weed.

Probably the main problem your poor tree has is actually the oh-so-common knot of roots at the base of the trunk, from when the rootstock was left sitting for perhaps years in a small pot, then grafted onto. "It's rootstock, right, so why pot it on?" seems to be the thinking (so to speak) at work. Those may kill the tree later, after they have grown thicker.

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/Horticultural Myths_files/Myths/B&B root ball.pdf

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Get good photographic evidence before planting. Conifers often take a little over 3 months to die.

Though personally, I'd take it back right now, and raise a stink.

4. kia796

kia796 Active Member

I agree with the photo evidence.
    During planting I would've taken a moment to get the camera and photograph
    all the "stages" of planting media collapse, and root exposure.

Your raw deal is exactly that.
    I'd contact the nursery, receipt in hand, and ask if they want it back (in which case you'll be able to return the favour of poor planting in a pot).

They just top-dressed it with good soil because it had been in the pot too long.
    Good luck.

5. jaro_in_montreal

Thanks kia & others.

I will have to remember that advice about taking photos -- its not something you normally think of, when your hands are covered in muck....

The trouble with "returning the favour" is that, as I said in the first post, the darn thing was really heavy, with all the cover dirt.

Anyway, I guess I'm sort of committed now to seeing how the plant does, during the 3-month warranty period.
    But as Michael said, I may be out of luck, as it may "take a little over 3 months to die."

Perhaps others can learn from my unfortunate experience....

6. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Perhaps talk to the nursery and tell them you're prepared to wait the three months warranty time, but do tell them of your planting mis-experience.

A reputable nursery may honour the warranty now (knowing how rootbound their stock is/was)...see what they say.

Yup, tough to think camera when covered in muck.
    But there's nothing like a print witness.

7. Michael F

Any news of its progress (or lack of it!)?

8. jaro_in_montreal

Thanks for your interest Michael.
    Not much to report just yet -- it could go either way.
    One or two small branches had dry needles, but the rest no change.

9. Michael F

Have the year's new shoots expanded? If no, the chances are not good.