random banana seeds

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Canadianplant, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

If i posted pics of banana seeds, could anyone on her ID them? I got a mixed pack of them, and i want to make sure i germinate them right.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
  2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

The big big ones look like Ensetes, or possibly Musa accuminata. The medium sized ones are from the Rhodochlamys, so maybe M. dasycarpa or M. ornata. The widgy little ones are Callimusa, like M. violascens although they're more likely to be M. laterita.

In any case, the germination method is the same. Soak them overnight in clean water, discard the floaters, pop the seeds that sank in your mouth and suck on them for a few minutes while contemplating the lovely big plants that they'll become, and then tuck them into moist soil, cover, and sit them in a warm place (like a heat mat, or the back of the fridge.) Germination is normally in 2-3 weeks, but the large seeds will take much longer.

3. Canadianplant

they have a few banana species listed on the site. Is it likley that they put these species in the pack? They are escete glaucom, musa lasiocarpa, musa sikkimensis, musa valutina, and "musa ensete:, which im pretty sure is now called esete ventricosum. Do these seeds fit the pic????

4. lorax

They do. Dasycarpa and velutina are the same species, and it makes sense for Sikkimensis on the teeny weeny ones.

5. Canadianplant

alright, thanks alot man. Since were talking about them, what type of soil is best to germinate them??

6. lorax

50% coir or peat minium. It has to have amazing drainage, but the capacity to stay moist without waterlogging.

7. Canadianplant

so 50/50 peat/vermiculite then???? Can i used normal potting soil?? What about general seed starting mix??

8. lorax

You can absolutely use regular potting soil - just make sure your germination station has reasonable drainage. Same goes for general seed starting mix. Others have had great luck with 100% vermiculite. Personally, I do 50/50 coir/volcanic ash, which is fantastic, or else I feed the fruit to my goat and just plant the poo.

9. Canadianplant

damn... i wish i had a goat. I just have a dog that thinks shes a goat :S Thanks alot youve helped alot