Randolph's Greenhouse (owner)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Henry, Mar 31, 2005.

1. I am growing Trachycarpus fortunei Windmill Palm here in Richmond, Virginia. The one I set out last spring in a protected place , sat there until late in the season and began to put out a new leaf. The weather has warmed up here now and that leaf is spreading out. The older leaves on it look as though they shall die off. A friend in Raleigh, NC has a Trachycarpus fortunei that is about 30 feet tall and bloomed last year. He told me it takes these palms 2 years to get established. I have another Trachycarpus fortunei in my greenhouse that I plan to sent out near the greenhouse about the middle of April. I have read they like rich soil. Should I add any sand to this soil. Should the soil be on the acid or basic side ? I also read that 20-20-20 is a good fertilizer , but I think it should get it established before fertilizing.
    Any suggestions will be greatly welcomed.
    Henry Randolph

2. hrandolph

hrandolph Member

My Trachycarpus fortunei Windmill Palm that I planted last spring in a protected area had put out a new leaf already this year and a new one coming out.I live in Zone 7. We are still having nights that get down to 35ºF; however, we are over due for spring like weather very soon. I have another Trachycarpus fortunei Windmill Palm that I have had inside all winter as I got it in the fall. Ishall be setting this one out near the south end of the greenhouse.

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years