Identification: Ramaria flava or Ramaria formosa?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by AliAbdullau, Oct 11, 2016.

1. AliAbdullau

AliAbdullau New Member

Please help to identify this mushroom, It is nutritious or not?

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Ali,

Well you've picked a challenging group of fungi to inquire about <grin>. A number of species in the group we call coral fungi are edible, but identifying them to species is hard, sometimes even with species in hand, regional key produced by a regional expert and a microscope.

Because it sounds like you are asking about a mushroom located in Macedonia, I'm not going to venture a guess, as your fungi may be quite different from ours.
    - If you wish to pursue this, here is a link to a list of mushroom contacts around the world, including I see a couple of Mediterranean groups and the Bulgarian Mycological Society: They would have information on resources for coral fungi identification for your region. European Mycological Association: mycological resources in Europe & beyond - mycological societies

Mushroom in general are nutritious, some in particular are good sources of protein and key vitamins. I have not looked for a nutritional profile on any Ramarias or other corals, so you have inspired me to see what is available on this topic.

cheers,
    frog