Radish

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by magbmpie, Jul 30, 2006.

1. magbmpie

magbmpie Member

This is my second year and second planting this year of radish. So far none of them seem to grow properly. Last year I got very few radish so added a lot of fertilizer this year and the rest of the garden is great, but the radish grew long and thin and got woody before it was ready to eat. I planted two kind "Cherry Belle and Champion" I pulled all of the planting out and replanted a second crop about a month ago and they seem to be growing the same way. The roots which should be round and firm are long and stringy looking. I have thinned these out so there are plants on every half inch or so and some are farther a part then that. When I was a child we lived in Saskatchewan and my mother grew great radishes. With the better weather and longer summer I thought they would grow even better here.

Does anyone have any idea has to what I should try next?

Thanks

2. o0_j4mie_0o

o0_j4mie_0o Member

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Radishes don't mature properly in very hot weather. They are fundamentally a cool weather crop planted in early spring in Zone 5. I never planted them in late August to try for the cooler fall season, but may do so this year. They should be ready in about 20 days from planting if all is going well. Sometimes I think it is best to plant them in a large plastic tray. There is usually a little black bug that attacks the leaves as soon as the radishes start growing. These bugs must be killed with insecticide. Somehow I consider them one of the hardest crops to grow for quality.

Durgan.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Durgan is right about the cool weather, I sow radish in January/Febuary here on the West Coast they grow easily when planted at the right time.

5. 3dognite

3dognite Active Member

I had the same problem as magbmpie. I know high temps were not a problem here! I grew mine in large pots this year and did a 2nd planting in mid July since the first ones didn't do well. They are doing the same thing. : (

Fortunately, I found out a few years back that you can eat radish greens (I steam them). At least they weren't a total waste! They taste best when young but I've eaten the more mature ones, too. Good with vinegar or butter/salt/pepper.

I've been letting my garden soil rest this summer. Container gardening just didn't "cut it" for me. Next year I'm planning to try "Lasagna Gardening"

3dognite AKA: pam.