Raccoon toilet

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Unregistered, Feb 12, 2004.

1. There's a spot in my garden which is being used as a toilet by raccoons! What can I do to discourage them? One time, I sprinkled crushed chili peppers in the area, but that didn't stop them. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Discouraging Racoons

Spreading dog hair (from a dog brush) will discourage racoon visits to that area in your lawn. Good Luck

3. raccoon toilets

I have had two for years. I tried to obstruct access with large branches and it had no effect. Did you try the dog hair?

4. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Raccoon pest control

You can try planting squash vines or some other plant with prickly leaf stems in that area of the garden. The raccoons dislike having to trudge through vines and are annoyed when they brush up against by prickly spines.

Good Luck to you

5. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

I imagine squatting on the prickles might be a bit of a disincentive as well!

I had some luck where they blighters were using a depression in the lawn when I filled it with sods and raised it from a depression to a small hump. Apparently this no longer appealed to the finer coon sensibilities and they sought an alternative site to perform their toilette.

Almost time to put out the electric fence around the pear trees to keep them from harvesting before I can.

6. Mistydog

A small electric fence will keep them away. If you want to see one in West Van contact rrichards6332@nospam.shaw.ca (remove the nospam bit)