rabbit’s foot fern dying

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by laylakavoie, Nov 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. laylakavoie

laylakavoie New Member

(i have never posted on a forum before, so sorry if this is the wrong place) this thing is not doing well. bought it in early summer, had it outside most of the time. at first it got very over watered from a rainstorm, but i started keeping it under the table i kept the rest of my plants on & it seemed to love that. i mostly just watered it by feel, if the dirt was dry i watered it. it seemed to be doing well either until i moved to my new house or until i had to start bringing it inside at night, not sure which because both happened around the same time. it’s been on my kitchen table for about two months & it’s basically dead i think. when it started dying (stems going orange & dry & falling out but leaves stayed green & didn’t dry up) i did my research & that was when i found out the rhizomes aren’t suppose to be under the soil (i know i’m awful). so i took some soil out of the pot & exposed them, & went from watering to misting them every night, but it’s still not doing well. i want to post pictures but i can’t seem to figure out how to haha. please help

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, yes indeed photos will definatly help. Here is a link giving excellent tutorial on how to post photos.

Attach photos and files

laylakavoie likes this.
  3. laylakavoie

laylakavoie New Member

when i first got it to right now

Attached Files:

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Does the pot have drainage?

laylakavoie likes this.
  5. Acerholic

@laylakavoie looking at your photos I would say that it has succumbed to root rot. The pot you are growing it in is not allowing for good drainage or any drainage at all, which is essential for this plant.
    Now although you said it was doing well at one time, it was probably gradually dying. Root rot does not show up in the overal vigor of the plant for some time, so your move has nothing to do with how your plant is looking now.
    I think your Rabbits foot fern has died and if you lift it from the pot you will smell tell tell smell of rotting roots. IMO it is not salvageable.
    Don't be put off from getting another of these wonderful ferns, just remember that it is essential to give it a good draining pot or hanging basket is better with a moss liner.
    Sorry I don't have good news for you. But others may suggest differently.

laylakavoie likes this.
  6. laylakavoie

laylakavoie New Member

it does have a hole in the bottom & i never watered it unless the top soil was dry

7. laylakavoie

laylakavoie New Member

i appreciate the honesty & will be buying a better pot & new fern today! the pot i have does have a hole in the bottom but clearly not enough drainage. i was reading on other pages that orchid potting mix is good for them, would you agree?

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm not sure it's necessary to get expensive potting soil, but if you're going to a real plant place, ask what you need to add to the bag of soil so that there is good drainage. Feel how heavy the pot is before you water it, and after you water it. Only water it each time when it is closer to the weight before you watered it (well, not totally dry). See if you can recognize where the leaves are when it has enough water, and try to determine when they just begin to droop, and how heavy the pot is at that point.

laylakavoie likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Yes I would agree with an Orchid mix, but any free draining mix that also can retain moisture around the roots is fine. The most important thing to remember is that you must not allow the roots to sit in water. Evenly moist but able to drain well is a good rule of thumb to work by. They also like a humid atmosphere.
    If or when you do buy another, it would be lovely to see how it goes, so if you can, please update the forum.

laylakavoie likes this.
  10. laylakavoie

laylakavoie New Member

thank you so much! & yes i absolutely will :) i’m thinking it’ll fit into my budget better next week! :)

thats very helpful thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2020
    Acerholic likes this.