Questions on Pruning Ukigumo - Pics attached

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Shishi, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Shishi

Shishi Active Member

Hi,

My Ukigumo has put out quite a few lateral branches and I would like to keep it growing more upright.

How should pruning be done? Should it be cut back to the length as the rest of the tree or cut back to where the branch begins? Can I do it now or do I have to wait until the end of summer/early Fall?

Thanks in advance for your reply and assistance.
    Shishi

Attached Files:

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello Shishi,

It looks as though your two lateral branches are starting to revert to a green color. In order to maintain the variegation in the plant I would prune the reversions out. This will also help with your desired shape. The best time to prune is from November through January when the plant is dormant and before the sap begins to flow. In your case I would prune out the reversions now. Prune to within a few millimeters above two (opposite) leaves that still have their variegation.

Because of the lack of chlorophyll 'Ukigumo' is not a vigorous plant, and it is best not to prune too hard and weaken the plant. To prune for "form" I would wait until the winter months. Have a look at the overall shape and prune lightly. Be sure not to just tip the branches. Carefully prune to above to buds or to a branch crotch. Be selective in your cuts, it is easy to get carried away.

Raakel

3. Galt

Galt Active Member

The green leaves at the end of the variegated shoots are likely vigorous leaves lacking "typical" characteristics. When that branch settles down next season, those leave will like emerge variegated and typical. You have excellent color on your Ukigumo--very impressive.

Given the rate your plant is growing, it would not hesitate to remove undesireable growth now so that you might see some redirected growth this season. Pruning cuts now will heal faster than late, early or dormant season cutting. General hygeine on maples should be done on a regular basis if foliage reduction is kept to a minimum. Maintenance pruning reduces stress on the plant--as drastic pruning is done at one time of the year can be detrimental to the plant. Why let the plant continue to grow in a direction you do not want? Redirect the energy. In that vein, remember that maples to respond with direction rebound or redirected growth.

Regards,

4. Shishi

Shishi Active Member

Thanks for the advice. I have pruned out the branches that does not have the variegated leaves and it looks great. I might be pruning it back a little more during the winter to balance out the tree.

Thanks again!

5. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

You might be able to achieve the form you are looking for by staking rather than pruning your maple. Many maples grown in nurseries achieve nice form by tying off the branches to bamboo stakes to make them grow more upright. After the growth hardens off, the branches retain their upright growth. You might still want to do some judicious pruning, but I would start out by staking the longer leaders.

6. STi

STi Active Member

that is one lovely maple!!