Questions about strawberry runners and veggies...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by osippi, Aug 3, 2006.

1. osippi

osippi Active Member

Hiya,
    I was germinating pea seeds, roma tomato seeds, and large red cherry tomato seeds. The tomato seeds sprouted then died. But the pea seed germinated and grew into a 2 inch tall, healthy plant. I looked into the planter one day and I saw these wormy-looking things slithering across the surface of the soil, they didn't appear to be on the plant, though.

I was growing them in Forest Bedding (you can find at a petstore, 100% organic), for my hermit crabs. I was hoping to have some fresh, organic veggies for them. The pea seedling seemed extremely healthy and thriving until those creepy little wormy things were all over the soil. I couldn't use pesticides or anything on it, since they were for my hermit crabs. So I planted it outside and it died. I have tons of seeds I'd like to grow, and I was simply wondering if anyone had this happen to their pea seedlings.

Now, onto my biggest question. I have a mature strawberry plant that I've had for about 4 or 5 years. It's outside and extremely healthy, always has been. Well, this year to my suprise it sent off two runners. I planted one in a pot of forest bedding and one in a planter of regular soil, this one is growing with my forget-me-nots. Well, it's probably been about a month since they started growing roots. I checked the roots this morning and they are both healthy and really well rooted. I was wondering if they are ready to seperate from the mama plant and I've heard about a "Chilling Process"? I'd like to know how to chill them, at what temperatures, how long to chill them, if it's even nessacary, and where I can chill them.

Sorry for my a gajillion questions.... I just don't wanna kill my strawberry runners!

Hehe, thanks!
    Lakota

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello Lakota,

As for your pea seedling something may have gone wrong during the transplanting process. Whether there was too much root disturbance, dehydration or otherwise, it is difficult to say.

As for your strawberry runners, as long as the roots are well established, as you had mentioned, you can safely remove them from the mother plant. I believe that the chilling process that you are referring to, is the mock winter that is provided for strawberries that are grown hydroponically in greenhouses. This is necessary to encourage flower development, which leads to fruiting. Because this chilling period occurs naturally in the Midwest with the onset of winter, it is not necessary to chill as long as you plant your new plants outside. Here is a great link with a lot of information, despite the fact that it is for growers in Atlantic Canada, I think that you will find a lot of the information valuable.

Raakel

3. osippi

osippi Active Member

I was hoping to put the runners in pots. I live in the midwest, so I could probably just leave the pots outside in the winter?

I read the descriptions of the different varieties in the link you gave me and I believe my strawberry plant is a "Veestar".

My adult strawberry plant has probably put off... 5, 6, or 7 berries this year. They're usually about an inch tall (the berries). However, this is the first year she's put off runners.

Thanks for your help!
    Lakota

4. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Lakota,

I believe that the winter temperatures in the Midwest are quite cold. If you keep your plants in a pot, it should be an insulated pot so that the roots are not damaged in the cold winter temperatures, otherwise, provide some type of artificial insulation around the pot. You can "plant" the pot in the ground for the winter months, and remove it when the ground thaws. Depending on the material of the pot, the freezing and thawing of the ground may cause the pot to crack.

The chilling requirements are quite minimal. Here is yet another link that suggests that less that 500 hours below 45 degrees Fahrenheit is adequate. If you have a garage or other location that is not below freezing, but still provides this low temperature, that may be an appropriate place to over-winter your plants without damaging the roots.

Raakel

5. osippi

osippi Active Member

Ah, I see. Thanks!

- Lakota