Questions about Key limes

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by James D., Mar 30, 2009.

1. James D.

James D. Active Member

I was just wondering if anyone have any tips they were willing to share about growing key limes indoors. I recently recieved 2 key lime trees (for FREE!) They are quite healty and hve lots ofnew leaf buds opening, the blooms fell off after transport. I don't blame them, i wouldn't want to be put in a paper sleeve and caried on the bus either. I have one sitting in front of a large south west facing window, it gets lots of full sun. The other is in a smaller window facing the same direction, they both get quite a lot of water and seem to dry out a lot. I was wondering about specific fertilizers and fruit bearing. If anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated. I am a horticulturalist, but have never been able to keep citrus alive before. I just reciently moved to a bigger house with lots of bigger windows, and a nice south facing garden, so hopefully they will survive this time. I have atttached photos of the 2 key lime and my sad calamondin, if anyone has tips about it too that would also be appreciated. He hasnt looked very good since he was infested with spider mites at work so he came home with me. I have irradicatedthe mites, but he lost a lot of leaves.

Attached Files:

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

James, there are an exceedingly large number of posts on this forum concerning the growth and culture of indoor containerized citrus trees. The many post on container culture and care will pertain to all varieties of citrus including Key Limes. Read through the posts, and you will find out all you need to know to be successful with your tree. - Millet (1,389-)

3. James D.

James D. Active Member

Thanks for all you help.