Questions about columnar trees

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by gator123, Aug 2, 2009.

1. gator123

gator123 Member

We are looking to plant some trees between ourselves and our neighbor along the fence line. We live in North Vancouver, and it would be a west facing direction. We have very good drainage with a lot of sand and small stones in the dirt. This is also where our sewer and water lines are located. The space is about 6 feet from the fence to our house. We would like a tall, columnar, decidious tree. Would a p. tremula erecta be appropriate for this environment?

2. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

You mention sewer and water lines in soil with good drainage. May I recommend that before you plant anything that you check with the City/District of North Vancouver? There may be a right-of-way and some restrictions that protect the underground pipes.

If this were my home I would not choose Populus tremuloides. It is a tall columnar trees (up to 12m tall) it is also described as having a vigourous root system that is not recommended for drains and building foundations

Because you have a fence, are you planting to decorate the fence or to enhance privacy or to provide shade from afternoon sun???

3. gator123

gator123 Member

We were looking for both privacy and sun protection. I will check with the district about restrictions.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not that it makes much difference but tree asked about was P. tremula 'Erecta' rather than P. tremuloides. Both are planted as ornamentals in this region.