Question about Hoya serpens

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chester, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I'm thinking about getting myself a Hoya serpens. I'm wondering if it is easy or difficult to grow in the home? I've googled it a bit, and some sites say that it is fussy. Any thoughts?

2. namawa

namawa Active Member

Personally, I've found it to be difficult.

I first tried one in soil, and lost it.

I now have one that's mounted.
    That one is doing better (and living longer!) than the one planted in soil, but the watering seems to be the most difficult issue.

It will have periods of growth, and then periods of leaf/vine loss.
    I'm sure that happens when I've allowed it to get too dry. I just can't seem to find it's 'happy medium'!

Since I'm growing it indoors (not in a greenhouse) I know it dries out faster than most plants, being mounted. I know I'm not diligent enough...I don't check it every day...just don't have the time.

3. Chester

Thanks for the reply. That's what I've been reading - that they are fussy. I grow mine in the home too, so I don't like to take on any that are super tempermental. I was given a cutting of H. curtisii last year, and that has proven to be quite fussy. It's starting to sprount now (why at this time of the year I would like to know?), but for almost a year I was on the verge of composting it. Serpens sure is cute, and has a nice bloom (from what I can see online). The smaller hoyas are what interest me - I have space problems. Well I digress. Thanks again.

4. namawa

namawa Active Member

I like the 'small' leaved Hoyas, too. But then again, I also like those with the very large leaves!
    I had trouble with Curtisii, too, but have finally been successful growing it in a very loose, porous mix in my south window. It doesn't get the direct south light, rather some direct east light in the morning and some 'shaded' south light in the noon/afternoon. I keep it quite dry.
    I wasn't real successful with it until I quit pampering it!

Have you considered Hoya cv. 'Mathilde'? (A cross of H. serpens and H. carnosa(I think?)

It's leaves aren't as small as H. serpens, but still on the small side, and the same shape. This one is MUCH easier to grow than H. serpens.

I have to say, too, that there are many people out there who do have really good luck growing H. serpens, so if you can find a reasonably priced plant....you might find you're one of those people!

5. Chester

I would consider just about any smaller Hoya that I could get my hands on...in Canada. We only have one grower that I'm aware of. He grows about 15 or so varieties/species (?) and only a couple or three of those are smaller stature. Serpens is one of these, which is why I'm considering it. Very expensive for us to order from your fair country unless you can hook into one of those 'community' orders where many people get together and share the cost of certicates, shipping etc. Haven't been able to hook up with any of these people. Man oh man when I see the selection that is available to you all. Good thing I don't live in your country or it would be beans on toast for me everyday. You have given me a new name to google however, and than can be pretty exciting too :)

6. namawa

namawa Active Member

I've sent cuttings to CA before, but it was a few years ago.

Let me check with some other Canadians on a hoya forum and see how receiving cuttings from the US has 'panned out' for them, and how the customs rules apply these days.

I'll try to get back to you and let you know. If it sounds feasible and practical...I could send you cuttings of a couple of 'small-leaved' hoyas....unfortunately not H. serpens, though...my plant is kind of 'tiny'!

I admit I know nothing about Victoria...what are your seasons/weather like?

7. Chester

Very kind of you to consider me for cuttings. Let me see, Victoria is Pacific Northwest so our climate would be close to Seattle. Rainy in the winter and coolish in the summer. Our high yesterday was 12 degrees Celsius, and our low was 1 degree. Later that will dip to a daily high of 6 to 8 degrees. We do get frosts, and occasionally a winter snowstorm, but the snow doesn't last. Some years we don't get snow at all. Our average summer temp (and I'm guessing here) would be in the neighborhood of 22 to 25 degrees Celsius. I believe we are zone 8.

Now as far as cuttings across the border, well I don't know much about that. One can always hope. I keep hoping someone will take up the torch and start selling Hoya cuttings. Canada is not great if you're into tropical plants. A lot of bog standard stuff. Anything unusual is typically gotten through a trade. Whenever I see anything that I haven't seen a cajillion times before, I try to post it here. I saw Eucaris amazonica a few months ago and just about passed out. NEVER have I seen that. Foliage begonias (other than Rex) are rare, as are interesting ferns. Heck, just about anything I've seen on Glasshouseworks isn't available. The varieties that are available are so dated, or the most common ones. Growers also will carry certain plants for a period of time and then stop growing it. If you decide you want a certain kind of fern, and they aren't growing it, it can take 5 years before you see it again. I've never tried the 'plants for trade' section of the forum, but I'm seriously going to give it a try come spring. I guess you can tell I'm frustrated huh?

8. namawa

namawa Active Member

9. Chester

Yup, that's the seller I was referring to. Thanks for the potential heads up though :)

10. newbieplantlover

newbieplantlover Active Member

I have a serpens that I bought from PL Greenhouses and its doing very well. He grows them in sphagnum moss so they stay a little more moist. He is great to deal with if you dont know already. I have bought quite a few hoyas from him and they are all very healthy. I also have curtisii which is doing well too.

I have recieved MANY cuttings from the US but it was all done sneaky sneaky. You cannot let on what is in the box or it wont get to you.

11. Chester

Yes I have dealt with Tom, and was very pleased with what he sent. I wish he would expand his line of Hoyas. Mind you, he deals with rooted plants, and not cuttings, but the plant I got from him was beautifully grown and hasn't stopped blooming since it came in June (July?).

Say, would you be interested in swapping some lacunosa cuttings for some curtisii come spring? My curtisii is one cutting about 3 inches long. At the rate it's going, it's gonna take some time into 2020 before it turns into anything. I also have H. bella..., and I could try to root them up for you if you'd prefer that. Let me know if you're interested.

ps. I don't know anyone in the US who would be able to send me cuttings..., so I'm gonna try the assertive route with local people who have plants...