Question about 'Golden Euonymus'?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by lily, Jun 14, 2009.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

This past weekend I planted a Golden Euonymus. It is so pretty, I thought I would like to make an entire hedge. However, this plant cost me $60.00 and I would need at least 6 or 7 more for the hedge. Is it possible to take clippings and start new plants from the one that I have? If so, how is this done and when is the best time to do it? I appreciate your help. Thank you.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Look for smaller specimens at a nursery and make the hedge out of those instead.

3. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Euonymus does root pretty easily from cuttings, if you've got patience.

I would take the cuttings this summer from the new growth, after the leaves have grown to full size. I like to use cuttings about 5-6 inches long. Remove the bottom leaves so that about two inches of bare stem can be sunk into a loose or gritty potting mixture (you could use regular potting soil mixed 1-to-1 with sand, but often I just use a plain potting mixture). I use small plastic cups with holes punched in the bottom -- stick the cutting in, and cover (at least for the first couple of weeks) with something like an inverted clear 2-liter soda bottle with the top cut off. You can water from the bottom, in a saucer or tray, to avoid compressing the soil by dumping water on it. I place these cuttings in a bright window that gets mostly indirect light with a little morning sunlight.

When new leaves appear, you can be fairly sure that the new plant has produced roots, and you can safely uncover it, and gradually expose it to greater amounts of sun. By early autumn, the baby plants should be ready to plant in the ground.

Anyhow that's how I do it. It works pretty well with a wide range of shrubby plants.

4. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Thanks very much for your help. I think I'll just buy some. I don't have that much patience. lol ~ at least I know it can be done thanks again.