Queen Palms problem

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by marose, Mar 25, 2008.

1. marose

marose Member

I have 5 Queen Palms planted last year. Two are in large pots and we kept them on the covered patio for the winter. They look fantastic. 3 are planted in the yard next to the deck. All three had really brown fronds at the end of the winter. We trimmed two back and left one. The one untrimmed is beginning to have new green growth. The two trimmed palms look awful. The stalks do appear to still be green, but I see nothing new growing. What do I do? Or, have I already done them in...

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I'd say the 2 that do not have new growth may be done for, but good to hear that one has some new growth. I'd say it got too cold for them. What did it get down to, minimum, there last winter??

Ed

3. marose

marose Member

I think the coldest it has been has been about 26 degrees Fahrenheit. It gets really cold then warms up, then gets really cold again all in a one week period. Did I do something wrong by cutting them back. Did not cut them back until about 2 months ago, but there were still some pretty cold days.

4. edleigh7

26 F, I guess that is about freezing is it? We use Celcius here. I think thats about right. Maybe the uncut one was protected oh so slightly so it survived?

Ed

5. marose

marose Member

32 F is freezing. Do you think the one with a bit of green will come back? I have looked for info on pruning them, but can't really find anything. At this point, I am thinking it is just better to deal with the unsightly aesthetics of the dying fronds and let them grow off. Palms are new to me, but I really like them and feel oh so guilty about cutting the two.

6. edleigh7

Where there is green there is life : )
    Don't feel too guilty, I've killed many a plant that I was new too...

Ed