Pyramid Cedar

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by islandduffer, Apr 22, 2009.

1. islandduffer

islandduffer Member

I have three pyramid cedars that started loosing their needles last year. I tried to get some answers as to what we could do to help the trees but without any success. We wrap the trees in the fall and when we uncovered them this spring they are worse. One is about 12 to 15 feet high and has been beautiful but looking pretty sad right now. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to help and save our trees.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Fastigiata', I presume? Can you post some photos?

3. islandduffer

islandduffer Member

I will take a picture and figure out how I post it on the site. I am new at this. Thanks

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Arborvitaes shed innermost, older needles noticeably in late summer when site conditions not optimal. The crown opens up making it easier to see the old dead junk than if the trees were dense and full. Likely it is something with the soil, such as infertility and drought. If there is another problem, like root rot it will be impossible to determine that with certainty on this venue.

You must find out what, exactly appears to be occurring before effective measures can be undertaken. Down here with have the USDA Cooperative Extension Service network to help homeowners and others with such difficulties.

6. islandduffer

islandduffer Member

I am going to attempt to upload my pictures of the three trees. I wanted to say that I fertilize with 15-15-15 and I use lime. My pictures are titled trees & squirrels - there are no squirrels in those pictures. Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Michael F

They're arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis), not cedars (Cedrus). The one in the third pic I fear is dead; the other two should green up through the spring.

Best not to use fertiliser or lime on them, they prefer slightly acidic soil.

8. islandduffer

islandduffer Member

Thanks for the information.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not the 'Fastigiata' ('Pyramidalis') cultivar but rather the 'Smaragd' (Emerald) cultivar that has largely replaced it at outlets. The two with some green still on them look like they have a horrendous bug or blight problem of some sort - and may soon be dead as well. Take foliage samples to someone who may be able to tell you what has happened.

10. Michael F

Looks like winter browning combined with salt spray damage to me - to be expected in a coastal locality.

11. islandduffer

islandduffer Member

Thanks! I thought the salt spray as well but we have had nothing on our windows the last couple of years that indicate that is not the problem. I stopped the other day and spoke with a gentleman who has about 100 of the same and his trees look great so I told him about ours. He had no idea what could be happening. He said he puts lime and fertilizer around them spring and fall and trims them. Is there annything in the meantime we can do? Where would I take sample to? I had gone to the nursery here and they could not help me.