British Columbia: Purple loosestrife request

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Eric La Fountaine, May 31, 2013.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello lower mainland BC gardeners,

A visiting researcher is looking for a large quantity of Lythrum salicaria, purple loosestrife. (Well, a kilo of dried leaf sounds like a lot to me.) I have asked around the garden and everyone knows of a few small patches in the local ditches, but no one seems to remember seeing a large patch. It's not in bloom yet, so not so easy to find right now.

I would like to know if anyone remembers seeing a large quantity in bloom somewhere in the lower mainland (the closer to UBC the better).

Thanks for any help on this.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Eric, I vaguely recall seeing lots of loosestrife across the river from UBC, on the other side of the North Arm of the Fraser. They were growing at the edge of the river channel that was cut off by the causeway leading to the Iona sewage plant and adjacent beach. The plants should be easily accessible from the east side of the causeway at mid to low tides.

3. Beekeeper

Beekeeper Active Member

At the end of 14 th ave Bby north of the river next to the East side of BARAGAS. Lots of it.

4. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

In the saltmarsh west then north along the dyke out of Steveston.