British Columbia: Purchase Sambucus CeruleaIn Victoria

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Terra, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Terra

Terra New Member

Does anybody know where I could find a blue elderberry shrub in Victoria? Is there a reason it isn’t easily found (ie. Is it difficult or temperamental to grow? Does it not transplant well?).

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Although it's not listed on their site, I would give Saanich Native Plants a call.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've planted it a couple times and had it fail rather quickly, as though something was completely wrong about the conditions provided. Yet it is found growing natively - albeit not abundantly - in the Puget Sound area. Where one I taped in Issaquah (in the foothills east of Seattle) had as I remember it a trunk 7 ft. around. And I know of long established cultivated examples here.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    One thing I notice is at the BC Coast we have red elderberry but up in the BC Okanagan, the berries are blue

The shrub size and leaves have similar appearance to each other (ie Coast / Okanagan) ... similar fruiting month

It is the berry colour that differs

I noticed in my Okanagan garden that the blue elderberry is definitely adapted to the open pine forest and likes heat and dry climate.

Native Plant Feature: Elderberry |

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Blue elderberry can be found along the coast as well, more of an associate with Garry oak-type ecosystems. There are some large plants near Earls Cove, for example. And, there is a large one along my commute to work!

6. Georgia Strait

Very interesting to know the dark berry version grows in the dry part of the SC ... on the rocky outcrops around Ruby Lake ??

I wonder if there are any in the Nature Conservancy of Canada acreage “Cowichan Garry Oak Préserve “ near Duncan BC

The birds sure love the red berries ! And then the twiggy branches for hanging around in.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The red elder produces pointed flower (and fruit) clusters and the blue flattish ones.

8. Georgia Strait

Yes good point - I will be more observant next spring

And from what I recall - one often sees the blue elderberries in Okanagan (Penticton BC ) around - for example - the old KVR rail grades nr Lake O elevation (I think around 1200 feet above sea level) that are now self-propelled walk/cycle/horse trails .

9. Richard Bolen

Richard Bolen New Member

Best source of elderberry in BC is Elderberry Grove in Salmon Arm.
    Phone#250 515-4311 the have more than 20 varieties.