Here are the mushrooms: http://www.flickr.com/photos/85443526@N06/7827891270/ Pre-story summary: I ate one of these based on Alexander Schwab's book "Mushrooming Without Fear," after carefully completing the checklist in the book and comparing to pictures therein and online. only later found out just how similar and dangerous young destroying angels are to puffballs. It's now been roughly 28 hours since ingenstion with no negative symptoms whatsoever, but I want to at least run the picture by this community. (and perhaps shed some light on what is really a major oversight in Schwab's book). Longer story: I'm new to the UBC forums and mushrooming in general. I bought Alexander Schwab's "Mushrooming Without Fear" this weekend, read the book twice, very carefully and set about on a little mushroom hunt. In the process, I found these mushrooms. I checked them very carefully against Schwab's checklist, and even sacrificed one in the forest to make sure the interior flesh was undifferentiated and white. My only hesitance at the time was that I was unsure if it was "firm" as Mr. Schwab's checklist ambiguously requires. Mostly satisfied, I harvested the other one and brought it home. Later that evening I double checked all the elements - conical spines,which rub off and leave a net pattern, correct cap color, no apparent gills or veil, and when halved the interior did not, as far as I could see, show any interior structures. I also compared them to puffball pictures in the book and online and they seemed, in every respect, a dead on match. Having carefully fulfilled all the elements of Schwab's checklist, I felt, as it is the purpose of the book, that I could eat it without fear. Now, Schwab mentions haphazardly (and I believe irresponsibly) that the destroying angel may be mistaken for the puffball and is not edible. He couples this one sentence, un-pictured warning, with a statement in the introduction that none of the mushrooms in the book could be mistaken for fatally poisonous mushrooms. It was only by chance that I later discovered how dangerously similar the destroying angel is in its button form to a common puffball, and that it is the most dangerous mushroom on the eastern seaboard. Long story short, my no fear mushrooming is now quite saturated in fear. Again, it's been 28 hours since I ate about half a mushroom, about 1 inch in diameter, and I have not had a single negative symptom or felt ill in any way. Unfortunately, unlike the other mushroom's I've posted here, I only took the one picture and did not save a sample - a symptom of naivete and my belief that there was little risk involved thanks to Mr. Schwab's book (and a mistake I will not make again...) . Despite every indication to the contrary, I can't help but be worried. Should I be?