prunus kanzan

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by nickyp, Mar 3, 2009.

1. nickyp

nickyp Member

hi all,i have recently moved into a house with a rather small back garden and i have had a prunus kanzan bought for me as a present.i was just woundering if anyone could tell me if this tree is suitable for a small garden?or would it end up being a problem in years to come?many thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Some specimens eventually rather large. Branches upswept at first, later spreading. If grafted on stock that has dwarfing effect or proves to be small-growing for other reasons may never become too much. Horribly overplanted here providing ample opportunity to observe variation in level of development that occurs.

If grafted on mazzard roots may become a problem in small space, as long horizontal emergent roots are typical when this is used beneath Japanese cherries.

3. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Ouch, I think this is what happened regarding the Kanzan cherries in our strata in Broadmead, Saanich, probably planted in the mid 1980's when the place was built. We have been dealing with them for years [I am a newbie of only a few years but am now the "Gardening Coordinator" for our Council]. The roots seem enormous but I am not sure if the tree is grafted -- it has a very stout, large trunk and the trees are very tall now, growing up -- can't estimate exactly -- so that the tallest branches are up in the second storey range. Fulsome, large pink blooms a little on the late side, maybe because this area of Broadmead is a bit windy and cold being unprotected to some degree on the northwest-southeast axis. The leaves are large and rather unattractive after the blooming period, but do provide shade to the garden below or next door where there's a long setting sun in the West when it's a hot sunny dry August. They grow one each in several units' front garden patches and elsewhere behind some units... The residents decry the "mess" with the dropped blooms on the driveways [such is human nature...] They are subject to caterpillars and need [perhaps all cherries do] tanglefooting in fall, dormant oil spray, and BTK spraying if still a bother, in May-June. They definitely are too big where they are. I wish we had instead a small cherry or plum or some other smaller blooming tree...